In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(neck/sleeves) en punto elástico(neck/sleeves) en canalé(sleeves/neck) en resorte Mexico Central America Colombia(soles) estriadoribbed vault — bóveda nervada / de crucería feminine
- The seat cushions are ribbed like an alligator's belly.
- She is wearing a black ribbed tank top, gray shorts, sandals and brown-tinted sunglasses.
- Models in Veronica Lake hairdos strutted confidently down the runaway in armoured jackets and darted skirts over ribbed cashmere footless stockings and stiletto pumps.
- High-school student Sarah Porchetta, 14, wears a Gap black ribbed turtleneck with checkered pants from Mariposa and Fila trainers.
- If ribbed sweaters suit you, then by all means, slip one on.
- His trainers - a beige, Prada-esque creation - are more chill-out than warm-up and the black leather jacket and ribbed polo neck look like they climbed out of the sort of carrier bag you'd insure after you left the shop.
- He was neatly dressed in a dark ribbed cardigan with a shirt underneath.
- He was wearing a dark coloured cardigan with a ribbed pattern and a shirt underneath.
- Made from 100% cotton, this classic turtleneck is all brown and features a ribbed neckline and trimmed hemline.
- She continued the theme to the end with her gold velvet belle époque bustier ribbed dress, combining the English theme and modern low-stress dressing with great aplomb.
- Made from a soft wool blend, it features a gray, ribbed knit finish along the cuffs, collar and waistband, with brown suede patches on the elbows.
- For a dinner party, James put together a black DEX T-shirt, grey Mexx summer short-sleeved sweater and charcoal grey ribbed Mexx pants.
- He took off his flannel shirt, leaving only a ribbed, white undershirt.
- So if you have an old fur piece kicking about, pop it on over a tweed skirt teamed with ribbed tights and court shoes.
- My mom dropped the knee-high argyles, and picked up some plain, gray ribbed socks.
- Made from polyamide, wool and mohair, this classic black cardigan features a ribbed neckline and subtle zipper closure.
- Special feminine ribbed vests are also available in pale pink and white.
- She is wearing white ribbed pantyhose, laced brown ankle boots.
- A quick simple tip is to avoid wearing ribbed tops underneath thinner shirts because the texture will most likely show from underneath and it won't look good.
- She said the attackers wore green ribbed pullovers with suede patches on the shoulders and ski-type masks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.