In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A record number in the list made their riches from land and property, up five from the previous year.
- This proves the point that wealth is not as good as work, nor riches as good as earnings.
- More than ever, it seems, we need proof that material riches can't buy love and contentment.
- His skills have brought him adulation and riches beyond belief.
- But it remains to be seen whether or not Khan will be able to resist the lure of riches for long enough to win his gold medal in three and a half years time.
- He had only £2.75 in his pocket but now he has riches beyond his wildest dreams.
- But whatever this is, it is not an example of riches earned by writing.
- It does not bring riches in the immediate present, but it does bring wealth in the future.
- Together they have added to their riches by investing in property.
- He also needs the money, for the glamour and riches of, say, Formula One or even the upper echelons of bike racing, are beyond him.
- Materialistic types can turn the page because there are no riches awaiting the winner.
- He has achieved it without sponsorship, riches or public acclaim.
- The public saw this as a chance to join in the capitalist race for riches, but the scheme collapsed taking the savings of the gullible with it.
- Many frittered away their riches or became entangled in wealth-sapping legal disputes.
- He did so driven by passion rather than dreams of fortune and riches.
- Imagine going out to dinner with a charming man who promises you riches and glory beyond your wildest dreams.
- Setting up your own business is one of the best ways to get started on the road to riches and you don't have to be a Richard Branson-type either.
- His status as a friend of royalty undoubtedly earned him great wealth, riches and national prominence.
- But though the conquests brought riches, they also brought grave problems.
- Someone in your position is unlikely to have hundreds of thousands to invest, so the road to riches will be a long one.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.