In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(opulently)(furnished/decorated) lujosamente(decorated/furnished) suntuosamente
- This is a world that is entirely believable with a set of characters and relationships that are complex and richly developed.
- But it doesn't take too long to realise that this tiny exhibition is in fact one of the most richly rewarding currently on show.
- The two richly dressed infants have brought their pets, as bright-eyed as themselves, with them.
- Their six assembly representatives were richly rewarded with four ministerial posts.
- It provides exhilarating fun and a richly designed and often quite funny re-exploration of movies past.
- This is a year in which the qualities of steadiness, patience, loyalty and bravery will be richly rewarded.
- Some of the ceilings, especially that of the domed rotunda and the dining room, are richly decorated.
- Her work in Vera Drake is so fully rounded, richly detailed and emotionally devastating that there really is no competition.
- It is both funny and moving, simple and richly rewarding, and most certainly worthy of your attention.
- The baths were very early Roman in date, of large size and richly decorated.
- And it is in watching such a richly drawn, complex film that we become the winners.
- Every part is richly decorated with flowers, hearts, twisting vines and grotesque heads.
- The walls of the hall are covered with leather richly decorated with gilt designs.
- For his journey has been both personal and universal, and richly complex in implication.
- There are intricate carvings on huge stone columns and the walls are richly panelled and decorated.
- For that he has been richly rewarded with a piece of footballing history.
- But if you have any genuine interest in strategy or history, you will be richly rewarded.
- In 1534 the Dragalevtsi gospel was composed and was richly decorated with fine paintings.
- In this scene the seated woman is also richly dressed and is also wearing a handsome feathered hat.
- The large vases, jars, and bowls displayed are all richly decorated with delicate and elaborate blue underglazes.
2(abundantly)they were richly rewarded — recibieron una generosa recompensa
- they received the punishment they so richly deserved — recibieron su bien merecido castigo
- the most richly endowed country in the region — el país con más abundantes recursos de la región
- a richly detailed biography — una biografía rica en detalles / con profusión de detalles
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.