In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(appearance/situation) ridículo(idea) absurdo(idea) ridículoI know it sounds ridiculous — ya sé que parece ridículo
- she made me look ridiculous — me hizo quedar en ridículo
- they're asking a ridiculous price — es ridículo lo que piden
- furniture at ridiculous prices — muebles a precios de risa
- The increase in costs will result in a doubling of our charges, which is totally ridiculous.
- In this day and age you wouldn't expect it to happen once - but three times is ridiculous.
- The traffic jams are now so ridiculous I wonder why I bother trying to get to work in the first place.
- I am sick of hearing the ridiculous arguments about civil liberties and tradition.
- Plans to name a street in a Bradford village after an exotic pink bird have been branded ridiculous.
- Just as he has the right to ask for a ridiculous rent increase, you have the right to fight it.
- I told her that one of my best friends at the time had a crush on her and she just laughed and thought it was ridiculous.
- The ridiculous part is that had he not applied for a grant, he would not have had to apply for permission.
- Is it just me or are others finding this practice ridiculous and just a little shady?
- They try to step into their old shoes and into their old clothes, and they look faintly ridiculous.
- It's ridiculous that such a beautiful landmark should be closed off for so long.
- Like all the best comedians, Jethro takes real life and makes it seem ridiculous.
- The council says that the law does not allow it to play such a role, which is ridiculous.
- It is extraordinary the number of people who say to me it is ridiculous that players should be paid so much.
- Be in no doubt that we appreciate how ridiculous this whole episode must look.
- The idea that smokers take more paid breaks than non-smokers at work is ridiculous.
- The discussion about everything else we should be blaming and banning is just ridiculous.
- It is ridiculous to demand that we should give asylum to those who plot the destruction of our society.
- Why are we not aware of the ridiculous amounts spent on such white elephants?
- We thought it was ridiculous that someone so young who had just come out of basic training was sent there.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.