In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This was a repulsive crime and any right-minded person will be happy to reveal the identity of whoever did this.
- The sexual abuse of a child is deeply abhorrent to me, as it is to any right-minded person.
- Rather, this looks like another attempt by the authorities to attach themselves to a cause in a desperate bid to appear caring and right-minded.
- All right-minded people condemn racism, be it black on white, Asian on black or white on Asian.
- Any judge has to draw back from an emotional anger that any right-minded thinking person feels for what you did.
- I don't believe it is abusive, I don't believe it does any damage and, until a few days ago, I believed most other right-minded individuals agreed with me.
- There is a need for groups who care about pensioners and I'm sure right-minded people realise the need for these groups to be run in a correct manner.
- I can only hope that the observations of Mr Richardson were meant in the spirit of fun, and that, in this day and age, no right-minded individuals continue to subscribe to such dated and sexist views.
- Any right-minded person would applaud the FA in stepping in to punish an individual over what was an obvious assault on an opponent but, by the same token, every player in England has the right of appeal if they feel hard done by.
- Judge Watson told Burnley Crown Court: ‘Any right-minded thinking person who saw these photographs would be struck by the humiliation and degradation which you imposed upon her.’
- All right-minded, normal-thinking people would find this abhorrent.
- This death cult should be regarded with abhorrence by all decent and right-minded people.
- There cannot be a right-minded person in Britain today who would not gladly push any button or flick any switch in order to open the door to hell for a sub-human of the type who could inflict this agony on a helpless child.
- Instead the Minister has produced a divisive, confrontational Bill which will be resisted ever more resolutely by right-minded rural people.
- They simply want it to be guided by right-minded individuals.
- These sentiments would strike any right-minded person as repulsive, hypocritical rubbish.
- Any right-minded person should condemn the BNP.
- It is thoughtless, it is self-indulgent and it undermines the standards which all right-minded people support.
- We don't believe that at all and I don't think any right-minded person would.
- In the 17th century, when the barn was just a barn, no right-minded person would have thought it sensible to actually live in it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.