In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1maestro de ceremonias masculinemaestra de ceremonias feminine
- Lyons is the ringmaster controlling the hype on and off the field.
- The ringmaster thanks people for coming and ‘helping to support the world's endangered species.’
- He was also, in his time, a superb ringmaster of French culture and the avant-garde.
- If the Oscars are a circus, he's the ringmaster.
- But for the past few weeks, due to her sickness, Chad, the ringmaster and manager of the circus refused to let her on the tightrope.
- There, standing on top of a rather large, dusty old theatrical trunk, projecting all the enthusiasm of a ringmaster on the opening night of the circus, was the magician.
- Every carnival has a ringmaster and plenty of barkers, bearded ladies, strong men, wild animals and sad clowns.
- Watching from many rows behind the center ring Marvin sits surrounded by eager children all of whom gaze at the ringmaster in awe.
- Cromwell's role at Putney was first and foremost as chair and ringmaster.
- Both men were considered only ‘foot soldiers’ in the affair and the ringmasters of the factory remain at large.
- They are part of a circular series of trades populated by sellers, buyers, buffers and ringmasters.
- It was also in the 1970's that Mic joined the legendary Pram Factory Theatre in Melbourne, creating Soapbox Circus, where he was ringmaster, musician, juggler and acrobat.
- We can't go on tonight without a ringmaster, and your highwire magic show is the highlight of the Circus!
- The ringmaster escorts the high-wire and animal acts into the rings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.