In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(dance/slaughter) ritualhis ritual mid-morning cup of coffee — su consabida taza de café de media mañana
- the ritual greetings — los saludos formularios / de rigor
- The slain bodies of the townspeople had been given the ritual burial, cremated in the fire, their souls sent to the afterlife to live in peace.
- Food consumption is a vital part of ritual celebrations.
- It was a place of ritual burial from c. 2000 BC, long before the arrival of the Celts in Ireland.
- After the ritual blessing, the relic was replaced in its casket.
- During the ritual ceremonies and dances, Hopi men wear elaborate costumes that include special headdresses, masks, and body paints.
- Contemporary concerns with cleanliness and purity are bound up with religious and ritual uses of water in the past.
- Other studies have, however, documented the richness of religious and ritual practice in contemporary Vietnam.
- In Gypsy custom, ritual purification is the road to health.
- She realized they were dancing a ritual dance, a dance to an unknown deity.
- Tantra set out ritual practices, religious proscriptions, yogic techniques, and philosophical doctrine.
- When writers referred to ritual dance around the turn of the century, they introduced ideas of religious activities into the discussion.
- Even in ancient times, spas were highly technical buildings with practical and ritual traditions.
- The island's men perform ritual dances to attract wives in this matriarchal society.
- After death, the family performs rites for the benefit of the departed and undertakes a ritual purification of the home.
- The defendant was accused of murder, a ritual killing.
- In ritual life, the arts, such as dance and body painting, serve as a counterforce to evil and generate energy.
- His duties are to lead prayers and to perform ritual sacrifices on religious holidays and special occasions.
- There are wedding songs, ritual songs, cult songs, lullabies, healing songs, and work songs.
- At the centre of religious and ritual practice is a division between ‘this’ and ‘the other’ world.
- During this period, there are dances, and ritual sacrifices of animals.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.