In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But once we started asking questions, none of those women would say that they had ever had pests, rodents, or roaches in their homes.
- For your gaming pleasure, a whole new assortment of mutant insects have been created including killer roaches, acid-shooting houseflies and fire ants.
- A roach crawled out from under the bed, making her scream.
- Pizza boxes would be kicked to knock out the roaches and the mice droppings before being used for a delivery.
- He was certain there were roaches scurrying about.
- At the back of the drainboard, smack in the middle of the dishcloth, a small brown roach waved his antennae sluggishly-sick, no doubt, confusing his nights and days.
- Sofia tells them about the horrid and rancid conditions in which she lives, with fleas, vermin, roaches, and about her job cleaning the dirty sheets.
- She told me that he refused to kill roaches and that she had seen them walking in and out of his sugar bowl.
- When I was a graduate student, the room we were staying in had roaches.
- Wouldn't you at least make the slightest noise when there's a roach climbing up your leg?
- All we could see was a small roach crawling up the wall.
- And they've also found two new mutations that make the roaches more resistant to pyrethroid and related insecticides.
- I see a roach making its way toward the closet door.
2slang(butt of marijuana cigarette)colilla de canuto feminine informalcolilla de porro feminine informalpito masculine Chile informalchicharra feminine Colombia informalbacha de toque feminine Mexico informal
- I went from car to car in the lot, going up to people's windows when they pulled in, even people I didn't know, but nobody even had a roach.
1(fish, American)carpa feminine
2(fish, European)rubio masculine
- I caught another two nice roach before catching a few bream up to over five pounds.
- A shoal of small roach will appear as a black cloud suspended in mid water.
- I loved to fish there and caught roach and perch as well as the odd boot.
- I had had about 10 good quality roach when I struck into a real fly away bite.
- Both had a single bream plus plenty of small roach on feeder tactics.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.