In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Culverts - metal, plastic or concrete pipes installed under roadbeds to channel runoff - are not always the best solution for drainage, but they are common and sometimes necessary.
- They begin beneath the roadbed where subsurface water meets the advancing frost line and forms a layer of ice, called a lens.
- A minority of these roads, although listed with a carriageway of constant thickness, may have had a similar surface profile, provided the roadbed on which they were formed had a central camber.
- Extant contracts do not give information about the profile of the roadbed except that it was not to be below the level of the adjacent ground.
- Add such attachments as scarifiers, and graders can even tear up old roadbeds.
- Concrete from the demolition of the site's previous buildings was reused in roadbeds.
2US(of road)calzada feminine
- Sections of the roadbed where erosion and poor landscaping along steep grades create a safety concern will also be reinforced or shored-up.
- The board said it believes someone crept down to the dusty roadbed after the last vehicle went by and dug in a mine to catch the next passing vehicle.
- The roadbed looked like it was made from rectangular white building stones, grouted together carefully, that had been grossly discolored.
- These carefully concealed elevators, built within the highway tunnels located in Portland's West Hills, will have the capacity to lift both vehicles and helicopters to the highway roadbed.
- On our left, a sheering ledge cut off the roadbed.
- Petroleum emulsions work for dust suppression, particularly on dirt roadbeds and shoulders in arid areas.
- Officials said that three storms in the last two months collapsed roads and destroyed roadbeds in the park.
- Because the melted water cannot drain into the frozen subsoil, the upper lifts of a roadbed become saturated and the road's load bearing capacity is greatly reduced.
- The total area of land being acquired is 141.26 Ha, consisting of 122.42 Ha agricultural land, 10.32 Ha forestry and 8.52 Ha of roadbed.
- Shade helps protect the road from drying out in times of low precipitation; roots stabilize the roadbed.
- Road damage starts when buses and other heavy vehicles over a certain weight threshold cause the roadbed to flex and crack.
- Repairs are now underway on the roadbed where the pipe burst.
- As the water drops, submerged trees, rocks, even old roadbeds break the surface or, worse, lurk just below it, waiting to bust a prop or bend a shaft.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.