In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He confirmed that roadrunners did occur in the state and also added Black-throated Green Warbler, bringing the state list to 345 species and varieties.
- In one intriguing trackway, the footfalls of a fringe-toed lizard were paralleled by the prints of a roadrunner, a lizard-eating bird.
- I've stumbled upon quail amidst the redwoods, roadrunners in the Hill Country, and a colony of flamingo in the heart of Hong Kong.
- For years a mated pair of roadrunners lived in the brush on the vacant lot behind the alley.
- In this landscape ringed by red-rock hills that take on a spectacular hue at sunset, small pleasures - fleeting glimpses of roadrunners, stretches of freshly paved road - are unexpectedly gratifying.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.