In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(worn by magistrates, academics)toga femininethe mayor's robe of office — el traje de ceremonias del alcalde
- ceremonial robes — vestiduras ceremoniales
- He notices an older man nearby dressed in monk's robes, sleeping.
- A seated Buddha carved of sandstone in Cave 8 at Yungang also has rounded forms of head and body, similarly wrapped in the monk's robe.
- His priest's robes billowed out behind him as he walked over to her.
- Several, especially the larger ones, are shaped like crosses or vestment robes.
- He wears his red robes of office as Judge of the King's Bench.
- The presence of several government officials on the upper floor, marked by their red robes and ‘hats with two horizontal legs,’ seems to underline the wine shop's official status.
- Finally, the King was led behind the altar into St Edward's chapel to be clothed in purple robes and given the Imperial Crown, Orb and Sceptre.
- Whereas Erasmus wears the black robes of an academic, the archbishop dresses in priestly white.
- King Ryan sat down slowly, his robes fluttering about him.
- She designed the clothes, which range from suave street garb to ceremonial robes.
- Kel retorted, shivering as she pulled the heavy black cloak over her mage's robe.
- The woman at the door wore her mage's robe over a nightshirt and boots.
- Yesterday controversial councillor donned his robes of office and was sworn in as Hull's Lord Mayor.
1.2US (worn by students)toga feminine
2(worn in house)bata femininesalto de cama masculine Southern Cone
1literary, formalvestirto robe sb in sth — vestir a algn de algo
1(judge) ponerse la toga(bishop) ponerse las vestiduras
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.