In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cristal de roca masculine
- A number of mysterious indications from ancient cultures link the use of rock crystals with communications through the air.
- However in the pagan period, rock crystal was used to make crystals balls about 2 inches in diameter.
- A clear and colorless glass, called cristallo in Italian for its resemblance to rock crystal, was a widely sought Venetian product.
- If left to their own devices, pieces made of rock crystal will last forever, but they are of course unusually vulnerable to breakage and destruction.
- Prague once again became a great centre of hardstone - not to mention rock crystal - production in the later sixteenth century by virtue of the patronage of Emperor Rudolph II.
- Perhaps it was his ambition to have a career commensurate with his talent that led him to settle in Paris, where he distinguished himself over several decades by his cutting of rock crystal, his speciality.
- The same people crafted stone tools of a satisfying symmetry that seemed to transcend mere utility, and to collect as objets trouvés, rock crystals, fossils and pebbles of pleasing shapes.
- The rock crystal pieces were complemented by a positive kaleidoscope of coloured hardstones.
- Small flakes of rock crystal as well as axes, bone projectile points, and burials are known.
- Painting on the inside of snuff bottles made of rock crystal or glass was a great Qing innovation.
- Also of interest were objects of precious or semiprecious materials such as rock crystal - or natural wonders - such as nautilus shells.
- A volcanic eruption, or magma rising and cooling close to the Earth's surface, will cause the formation of a wide variety of igneous rock crystals.
- Crystal gazing seeks visions allegedly seen in a ball of rock crystal, preferably quartz.
- By a happy chance, the earliest postclassical European rock crystal vessels are at the same time the purest in terms of design.
- In 1986 the world's leading science journal announced that the most ancient rock crystals on earth, according to isotope dating methods, are 4.3 billion years old.
- The few glass beads, and one of rock crystal, are also imports.
- Qianlong, who reigned from 1736 to 1795 and died in 1799, was one of the greatest patrons and collectors of Chinese rock crystal carvings ever.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.