In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(under chair, cradle)balancín masculineto be off one's rocker — estar chiflado / chalado informal
- to go off one's rocker — (go mad) perder la chaveta
- As far as I know, ‘Auntie ‘did nothing all day but sit in a rocker and crochet multi-colored shawls and comforters and stuff like that.’
- Pull your rocker onto the back porch, or spread your blanket on the roof, turn on the fan and enjoy the quiet.
- The mailbox is dilapidated, the porch has a dog on it, the porch chair is a rocker and the man rocking in the chair is smoking a pipe.
- Next to the photo was a smaller model of the Halston rocker, a kind of splayed chair with a narrow back that looked terribly uncomfortable.
- I remembered how she could sit in that rocker for hours and hours and hours and make designs.
- Other items remained recognizable as parts of domestic or industrial objects, including the curving back of a wicker love seat, bundles of chair and table legs, and the back of a bentwood rocker.
1.2(rocking chair)mecedora feminine
1.3Motor vehiclesbalancín masculine
2.1masculine rockerofeminine rockeramasculine rockerofeminine rockeramasculine rocanrolerofeminine rocanrolera
- The long-time friend of the rocker and his family made a series of drawings of Ramone which was projected as a backdrop for the musicians appearing in concert.
- When one of France's coolest film-makers tried to find the ideal place for a junkie rocker and his messed-up wife to hit bottom, only one location would do: Hamilton.
- These four mysterious rockers have produced some of the most beloved music of our time.
- About the closest I could relate to it was my teenage days as a Goth rocker, when my girlfriend used to put some white face on me to take away my tan, and we wore all black.
- The photogenic New Wave mannequins and hair metal rockers that the channel enjoyed such success with in the '80s were being replaced by grunge and alternative artists.
- Onstage he is not the most charismatic, call and response rocker on the planet.
- Both men can't believe they still get to do something that they truly love, and each on has a unique take one being an aging rocker.
- Still he plays his instrument of choice with all the skill and power of any standard rocker.
- As an old rocker myself, of course I am familiar with the band Blondie.
- The Irish rockers captured the crowd's attention from the moment they took the stage, through sheer force of sincerity.
- The actor plays the fictional rocker Blake as he lives out his last days in a remote house in Seattle.
- The music industry may be in a frenzy over them, but stadium rockers they are not.
- Sam did several music videos, often surrounding himself with big name rockers.
- He kicked the jack-of-all-trades route to the curb, got himself a band, and made a quick metamorphosis into a brash rocker.
- Dark, in need of a haircut and pathologically thin, he looked like a down-at-the-heels rocker.
- He is one of the most underrated rockers of the 20th century, an enormously talented musician whose misfortunes have completely eclipsed his importance in modern music.
- Greenfield says his collaboration with the legendary punk rocker isn't as unlikely as it seems.
- As it stands, Earle is today probably best known more as a radical than as a rocker.
- Two weeks ago it was announced the bassist had split from the glam rockers over " musical differences".
- The disc's third documentary short resurrects the happening '80s music that propels the movie's soundtrack, including several of the rockers who recorded it.
- The overall pace is so even you scarcely notice when the odd rocker slips by, creating a slightly flatter feel than the songs deserve.
- The soundtrack disc includes vintage rockers by Sweet and Girlschool and new songs by Creeper, a band fronted by the one and only Dean.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.