In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(descent of rocks)desprendimientos de rocas masculine
- Intense rainfall in the south Kerry area completely gouged out a section of road between Kilgarvan and Bantry, as well as causing large landslides and rockfall over a mile-long stretch.
- If you're looking for an appropriate site, you'll want it to have sunshine, flat ground, and clean water nearby, plus protection from wind, avalanches, and rockfall.
- In the Crocodile Gorge between Nelspruit and Kaapmuiden only a single lane was open to traffic after rockfalls.
- There are crevasses to fall into, rockfalls, avalanches, and severe weather, particularly the wind, on such a mountain.
- Effective techniques of fighting the enemy in the mountains are induced rockfalls, avalanches, glacier movements and mudslides.
- The summit trails are hazardous and difficult - and sometimes closed because of the danger of rockfall.
- Coaching clients while at the same time tuning in to all the various factors around you - weather, rockfall, other climbers - may be a guide's most important skill.
- Digging is not without its hazards - landslides or rockfall are a serious hazard in some cases and may require properly engineered shoring.
- Heavy downpours, hail, rockfalls and strong winds battered the province yesterday and more showers and snow are expected.
- This is usually attributed to objective dangers - unpredictable acts of God, such as avalanches, icefalls, rockfall, and horrid weather.
- He imagines himself in stressful climbing situations - say, hanging from ice axes a thousand feet off the deck and suddenly getting bombarded by rockfall.
- As the melting ice weakens the mountains, Switzerland is already experiencing more rockfalls, landslides, and mudflows, but things could get much worse.
- Heavy downpours, gale force winds and rockfalls battered parts of the Eastern Cape throughout the weekend.
- Meanwhile, in Australia, some real men were hauled from a mine after being trapped by a rockfall following an earthquake.
- Its first priority is to identify where permafrost is present and where mudslides and rockfalls are likely as it melts under the effect of global warming.
- They were 2,1km below ground when a tremor, measuring 2,9 on the Richter scale, caused the rockfall.
- The scenic road was closed until further notice after a woman was killed and another seriously injured during a rockfall yesterday.
- The topography is rugged and complex, prone to rockfalls and avalanches.
- Heavy rainfalls and snow across the province resulted in at least one death, forced the closure of several roads and passes, and led to rockfalls and minor car accidents yesterday.
- No one had been injured in the rockfall the night before, I learned - a huge relief, especially for Barger, who was now zipping around the course in a black helicopter.
2(fallen rock)roca (desprendida) feminine
- Road workers are currently clearing the streets of debris, with this one closed because of rockfalls.
- Floods and landslides have hit many cities and towns across the country since December during this delayed rainy season, leaving dozens of people drowned or buried under mudslides and rockfalls.
- She wasn't sleepy and she still wanted to talk to him so she followed him to a small rockfall and watched as he rolled, then lit, a cigarette.
- In eight groups of rockfalls more than 75,000 years old, broken speleothems are the only record of the prehistoric seismicity.
- The Glen Lyon Millennium Event takes the form of a horseshoe route which follows an old peat track past a flowing burn, replete with deep pools, rockfalls and ancient trees.
- On first inspection it looked none too promising with the roof of a nice 2m wide by 1m tall shaped passage giving out to a loose rockfall.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.