In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1romaine lettuce — lechuga romana feminine
- Rina stabbed some romaine lettuce with her fork.
- Start with dark-green lettuce (such as romaine or red leaf), and choose vine-ripened tomatoes for the most flavor.
- Determined chefs go out of their way to find the freshest, most tender heads of romaine lettuce available.
- We were pleasantly surprised: the romaine was crisp and cold, the dressing light and tangy.
- These assortments of easy-to-use greens include small, colorful favorites like romaine and green leaf lettuce and radicchio.
- But spinach is as close as most people get to dark leafy greens, and some never get beyond romaine lettuce.
- The romaine doesn't conflict with the other ingredients, as it's a very subtle-tasting green.
- A slick of house-made dressing over crisp romaine balances fragrant garlic and anchovies with the tang of lemon.
- He had made a light salad of romaine lettuce, almond slivers and raisins in a wine vinegar dressing to start.
- Even a romaine wedge arrives in interesting form, its blue cheese dressing set off by cucumbers topped with a jalapeño-pickled olive relish.
- Meanwhile, rip up the romaine lettuce into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Is romaine lettuce standard for a chef's salad?
- Turn over a new leaf with romaine, radicchio, arugula, bok choy, watercress, frisée and mesclun (a mix of baby lettuce leaves) and mix them.
- Even better, chow down on good sources of folate: spinach, romaine lettuce, broccoli, orange juice and green peas.
- The Caesar salad was nice, with romaine lettuce, Parmesan cheese and crisp garlicky croutons in a lemony vinaigrette.
- Sturdy lettuces like romaine make great wraps, too, and there's no better filling than Korean barbecue.
- The most colorful vegetables (spinach or romaine lettuce rather than iceberg, for example) pack the most punch.
- The romaine was crisp and full of bite, the vinaigrette was tangy but not overpowering and the freshly shaved Parmesan bound it all together in perfect harmony.
- Place the romaine lettuce, avocado, cabbage, onion rings and chicken in a large bowl and toss all ingredients to mix well.
- It doesn't take much to turn a head of romaine or a prepacked bag of greens into a gourmet first course.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.