In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(frolic)retozo masculinethe children dashed off for a romp in the snow — los niños salieron a retozar en la nieve
- It's daughter Caroline's third birthday and a proud and happy little girl turns church-going into a gleeful romp.
- I quickly changed out of the white gown, and hung it up to dry, for it was partially damp due to my romp through the snow.
2(sexual)revolcón masculine informal
- Come on woman, you've already had a romp in a supply cupboard, how insatiable can your sexual appetite be?
- I am long overdue for a good romp between the sheets.
- As the clandestine romps continue, the lovers' conversation turns on their differences.
- The image does look as if these texts describe a harmless aristocratic sexual romp.
- He's here to help, not reenact last night's sex romp dream.
- As a homosexual, I would also be disapproving of promiscuous, illicit bathroom romps, simply because of the moral code by which I live.
- I wouldn't turn down a romp in the sack with either one of them.
- While most folks seem open to an occasional romp in the loo, the folks who aren't, well, they really aren't.
- Forgive me, but a romp in the sack does not equal love.
- Enjoying a sexy romp is one thing - buying promise rings is another.
- She also enjoyed a romp or two with various Earls which seems to be a popular name back then.
- Still at least if Daniel knew she was free he could suggest a romp in the hay or something.
- Right in the middle of our romp, who should walk in but my boyfriend!
- The younger woman's unabashed romps arouse Sarah's curiosity, unleashing sexual dreams in her.
- The songwriter's lyrics are peppered with references to vampires, premonitions, smoke and mirrors, no strings attached sexual romps and Elvis rising from the dead.
3(play, film, novel)
- While the film is still an enjoyable mindless romp, it is the weakest of the four films in the saga.
- Kids weren't bogged down by the taxation plot device that seems to unnecessarily bother us adults, they saw it for the enjoyable romp that it was.
- Given the title and director, I was expecting something grotty and disturbing, so I was pleasantly surprised when the film turned out to be a lighthearted kitschy romp.
- The elements are present for a really good sci-fi cinematic romp but unfortunately the movie's screenplay holds the film back from achieving great things.
- The movie is a sly comic romp that transforms the realities of rock and roll into a fantasy farce about joy, fame, and isolation.
- The ensuing high adventure is an energetic romp packed with plenty of explosions and near-death experiences that also works because of the chemistry of its stars.
- An action romp is good, but one wonders if the story would be better served by slowing down a little.
- What it is going to be is a light-hearted, humorous romp - a clear labour of love by an author who is obviously a huge fan of the genre and comedy in general.
- What begins so promisingly as a satire or perhaps even comic romp leaves an uneasily nasty after-taste.
- There are other delights around each and every corner of this film… if you like a good romp that has elements of tear-jerking romance.
- The screen times get bigger and bigger, so now it's common for a movie to be two and a half hours, even if it's an action romp.
- Only the writers get the virtual slap on the wrist for artificially inserting too much melodrama into a story that should have been a comic romp.
- In all actuality, this film is a light-hearted action romp that has its tongue firmly planted in its cheek.
- These surprises, when coupled with the highly stylized action sequences, made for an entertaining romp through the stunning panoramic shots of Mexico.
- Step one is his novel, a hilarious romp intended to remind readers that the comic neurotic is also a talented writer.
- Meticulously researched, her new film is a romp through the history of burlesque, narrated by those who practised the form.
- Only its bloodless nature garnered it a G rating rather than PG. It's not a lighthearted romp like many of Disney's other animated movies.
- Big stars in a fun romp of a movie directed with style and zest by one of the best film-makers working today.
- Sketches, skits, parodies, songs, poems and bad dancing describe this sparkling, lighthearted romp through the Bard's amazing repertory of works.
- Hodges found the production chaotic but managed to ‘let go’, producing a lavish and enjoyable comic sci-fi romp.
obra divertida y sin pretensiones
4(easy victory)carrera fácil feminine
- Brock scored four more goals in the third period to cap off the romp with three of those coming in the last five minutes of the game.
- But England will take what they can from a 12-try romp against the hapless Canadians.
- In contrast, Secretariat's 31-length romp into immortality in the 1973 Belmont drew a crowd of 67,605.
- Vale of Lune made club history with a six try romp at Morley at the weekend.
- Snow Ridge registered a 3 length romp in his maiden debut at Kempton on September 6.
2(move boisterously)correr alegremente
3(move with ease)she romped through the exam — no tuvo problemas para hacer el examen
- he has romped into a spectacular lead — ha conseguido sin dificultad una ventaja espectacular
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.