In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Climbing roses, jasmine and honeysuckle were trained up the walls and rosemary and lavender borders lined the flower beds.
- Thyme, rosemary, marjoram and lavender will act as a magnet for bees and butterflies.
- A white vinegar is typically used as the base and is infused with herbs such as thyme, rosemary, garlic or basil.
- Fennel, rosemary, marjoram, garlic, and juniper berries are variously favoured aromatics in Italian pork cookery.
- You may pick a sprig of rosemary or thyme, or a few fronds of parsley or dill, but you'll pick an armload of basil.
- Cook diced potatoes, garlic and rosemary in a few spoonfuls of the reserved goose fat for the crispest, crunchiest potatoes ever.
- Despite the sun, the island is luxuriantly green and the hot wind blows the balmy scents of lavender, rosemary and heather.
- One example is procumbent rosemary, used extensively as a ground cover and sheared several times a year.
- In front of the beech hedge, a patch of un-cultivated land overflowed with flowering thyme, rosemary and gorse.
- He also grows grapes, tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, squash, sage, thyme, rosemary and bay.
- I also ignored the dried thyme that was provided in my bundle and used fresh thyme and rosemary because I had it on hand.
- She recognized the smell of thyme, rosemary, sage, and lavender, but that was about it.
- I chopped up a good amount of fresh mint leaves together with a little bit of rosemary needles and simply added to the cake batter.
- The nearest they get to outré culinary invention is a little garlic and rosemary with the roasted sea bass.
- She took the breadcrumbs out and mixed them with oregano, basil, rosemary and black pepper.
- The Romans also spread plantings of rosemary and mint far and wide.
- Make sachets of dried lavender or equal portions of rosemary and mint.
- The flavour, however, is less sugary than you might be led to expect, salty and redolent of rosemary, garlic and vinegar.
- I'm pleased that the island has an olive grove and a herb garden as I could live with just basil and rosemary in any cooking.
- One of our family's favorite ways to enjoy rosemary is with these roasted potatoes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.