In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the aquatint process, areas covered by rosin powder become pitted when immersed in an acid bath.
- Linoleum, made from all-natural materials including linseed oil and pine rosin, is a low-cost and maintenance-free choice.
- He began to put away his cello, wiping large deposits of white powdery rosin from the strings and bow with a silky cloth.
- Marina was only half-listening as she took Shell's rosin box and ran the hard, translucent, amber colored rosin along the hairs.
- The hair must be tensioned and be rubbed with rosin or a similar compound to grip the string.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.