In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We played football and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.
- When I see a group of immigrant boys playing a crude match of rounders in the streets of the village, I feel pride for the assimilating spirit of the sport.
- Over the 3 days, the players were put through their paces of hurling as well as taking part in fun-games, rounders and skills testing.
- This was not due to a lack of ability as Tom had excellent ball control, could accurately score goals and easily hit a rounders' ball.
- Playing hopscotch, hide and seek, even a game of rounders was all in a day's fun for a thirteen year old in the good old days.
- These included that a portion of waste land to the West of the estate be designated a play area for such activities as football, rounders, etc.
- Sport is very competitive and we travelled mostly to Pompey to play football, rounders, and tennis.
- We played rounders and cricket in the street and sometimes that ball really stung.
- She plays field hockey, tennis and rounders, which is kind of the English version of baseball.
- In the warmer seasons it would have echoed to the excited calls of bull rush and rounders, the click of cricket bat and ball.
- I suggest going to the park for a kick around with a football, or a game of rounders, cricket or frisbee.
- He was one of the early initiators of cricket in Rio Claro, which he saw as a healthy hobby for the area's boys; in the same way, he sponsored rounders for girls.
- A game of rounders or Frisbee in the park costs nothing.
- The children will play a variety of sports including hockey, basketball, rounders, Olympic handball, Gaelic football and table tennis.
- Several baseball players and writers pointed to the British games of cricket and rounders as clear sources for baseball's origins.
juego parecido al béisbol
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.