In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(base de salsa compuesta de harina y mantequilla) roux masculine
- Gumbo - half soup and half stew - is based on a roux and innumerable combinations of fish, meat and vegetables.
- Whisk the milk and cream mixture into the roux and cook for four minutes, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula.
- While all of this was going on, he showed me how to make a roux.
- This rich and creamy mussel soup is lighter than the original, with neither egg yolks nor a flour-and-butter roux to thicken it.
- His recipe has you make a roux of five tablespoons each flour and butter, to which you add one and one-half cups stock.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.