In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1casa adosada en una hilera de casas idénticas
- He was then living in a dilapidated row house in South Philadelphia with his girlfriend, Maya, and their two small boys.
- He established his practice in 1970, coming to prominence in 1976 with the Azuma House, a row house that embodied what would evolve as the essential principles of Ando's architecture.
- The area was safe and clean when I was growing up, with both a Catholic school and a public school within walking distance of our row houses.
- By late summer 1996, Webb was the owner of a two-unit Victorian row house in the Capitol
- The row house followed a standard plan of three narrow stories above a raised basement with service entrance.
- My guide makes his way through the front door of a two-story row house not unlike the offices of any community organization, in any urban neighborhood.
- One police car is double-parked out front, and the door of the row house is propped open.
- You can do the same things mentioned here on a smaller scale in an apartment or row house or mobile home.
- Like many older homes in the Washington, D.C. area, the row house needed renovations.
- Instead of row houses, there were brightly colored individual cottages, tightly packed together, with round windows and doors - diminutive dwellings fit only for what must be very little people.
- Housing in the coal-mining areas generally consists of row houses built in the nineteenth century.
- Five people perished Sunday morning in a blaze that swept through their Philadelphia row house.
- Two Sundays ago, the Philadelphia Mural Arts Program unveiled a striking work that covers one wall of a corner row house at Dauphin and Tulip streets.
- The house we rented, like thousands of others in the city, was built largely of concrete, and would have looked at home as a row house in California.
- This restored 1853 Federal-style row house was the city's first such property when it opened more than 20 years ago.
- The neighbourhood near Queen's is almost a century old and many of the residences contained therein are row houses.
- I lived in a ugly brown row house on a Coast Guard base.
- Most of the narrow-fronted wooden row houses that gave Kyoto its distinctive character have been destroyed with the full support of the city authorities.
- These are kids who grew up in tenements, high rises, government housing or row houses.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.