In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)comisión investigadora nombrada por el gobierno
- Lord Wakeham was commissioned by the Labour government to head a Royal Commission which was to present a report to the House of Commons on the possible second stage of reforms in the House of Lords.
- In 1998 the record office was inspected by the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts and the facility was found to be wanting.
- At the end of the Second World War, for example, a British Royal Commission pondered the potentially negative effects of falling fertility.
- There were a number of Royal Commissions on the Police, principally concerned with structure, although the last one, in 1960, arose from a series of minor scandals.
- Despite government efforts, special inquiries, a Royal Commission, and rafts of good intentions, the problem of long term care for elderly people remains.
- The government has published its response to the recommendations of the Royal Commission on Long Term Care.
- The Government is today condemned for its failure to introduce free personal care for the elderly throughout the UK by the Royal Commission it set up to examine the issue.
- The plans are broadly in line with what the Royal Commission recommended.
- Even as late as 1895, the Royal Commission appointed to report on the use of opium in India concluded that the drug had no harmful effects on the local population.
- He called on the Government to set up a Royal Commission to investigate the use of experts in courts.
- It is to be hoped that there is truth in suggestions that the government is likely to respond favourably to the Royal Commission's recommendations.
- The recommendations of the Royal Commission would have a bearing on any final legislative proposals.
- A Royal Commission and the army assessments in the 1620s and 1630s show that the Catholic diocese of Down and Connor was among the wealthiest in the country.
- I believe a Royal Commission into animal welfare, to set out what is acceptable treatment of animals and what is not, is the next logical step.
- These requirements follow the recommendations of the Royal Commission, and are an attempt to provide safeguards against the improper use of police powers.
- In 1985 she joined the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, now part of English Heritage, as a field archaeologist for Wessex.
- Other stimuli for legislation may come from pressure groups, individual MPs, reports of Royal Commissions, and recommendations from committees, working parties, or other expert bodies.
- Its editor calls on the Government urgently to set up a Royal Commission to investigate and make recommendations concerning the use of experts by the courts.
- In 1935, Casey ensured his appointment to the Royal Commission on Monetary and Banking Systems.
- Research carried out for the Royal Commission on Criminal Justice showed that there was a need for considerable improvement in the approach of the police to the questioning of suspects.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.