In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(substance)goma femininecaucho masculinehule masculine Mexicorubber check / (British) cheque — chirimoyo masculine Chile informal
- rubber dinghy — bote neumático / inflable
- rubber goods — artículos de goma
- rubber plantation — plantación (de árboles) de hule
- Often, parents or caregivers are not aware of the risk of sensitivity to natural rubber latex.
- Many of those rescued had been blown out to sea on rubber dinghies.
- I was shocked to see that it had rubber tires rather than steel wheels.
- One advantage of this material is that it is more resistant to alcohols than natural rubber latex and vinyl.
- When working with any finish, open windows and wear a respirator and latex or rubber gloves.
- I use synthetic rubber almost exclusively, and it's certainly soft and pliable.
- You should wear eye goggles, a mask over your nose and mouth, and rubber or latex gloves.
- Lifesavers have issued a stark safety warning after a family's frolics ended in the desperate rescue of a small child whose rubber dinghy was swept out to sea.
- The bands are basically thick rubber tubing that is colour-coded to various levels of strength.
- I fixed it with rubber elastic bands to reduce vibrations and noise.
- You can have any message stamped over the rubber band bracelets, or designs crafted on them.
- Recently, a coworker told me that there is an alternative to conventional rubber latex that is not a synthetic product.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the oats, apricots, and pistachios.
- Mikki was explaining the details while messing about with a small electric pump and ten feet of black rubber tubing.
- Wear shoes with soft leather tops and flexible crepe or foam rubber soles.
- To avoid rounding over the corners use a hard rubber or wooden sanding block, not a power sander.
- Many of the ailments were caused by the ammonia that is added to rubber latex mixture to keep it liquid.
- The company specializes in handcrafted, original woodblock rubber stamps.
- This bouncy rubber was surprisingly tough stuff.
- The range mats are made of hard black rubber strips that resemble the insides of tires.
2British(eraser)goma (de borrar) feminineborrador masculineink/pencil rubber — goma / borrador de tinta/lápiz
- Ask the children to take two pencils (perhaps red and blue), a rubber, a pencil sharpener and a ruler from their pencil cases.
- You have to rummage around in it for ages trying to find a rubber or pencil sharpener.
- I caved in, bought a book, and even bought a pencil and a rubber.
- My son's pencil case contains a pencil, a ruler, pencil sharpener and a rubber.
- We'll have the usual sort of thing for children like baseball caps, pens, books, CDs, rubbers and pencils.
- Check you've got pen/pencil, ruler, rubber and any extra equipment such as a calculator, dictionary, or text that you are allowed.
- Suzie wore out 7 books of pencils and 36 rubbers correcting all the mistakes and making it readable.
- The organization is also also collecting pens, paper, rubbers, geometry sets, solar-powered calculators, rulers, felt tip pens and crayons which will be boxed up and sent to countries in eastern Europe.
- They returned delighted, with pens, pencils, rubbers and badges - mementoes from the trip.
- Each case has been filled with much needed resources for the children including pens, pencils, rubbers, rulers and pencil sharpeners.
USchanclos masculinegalochas feminine Southern Cone
4US slang(condom)globo masculine informalparacaídas masculine informalgoma feminine Spain informalforro masculine River Plate informal
- A couple of beers and a few albums later, Jake asked if Mark had any rubbers.
- I think most guys would wear a rubber, but for some reason, guys get the opportunity to have sex when they least expect it, and therefore don't have protection with them.
- It'd be a good idea to back the rubbers up with some foam.
- Didn't think I was gonna get lucky, so I didn't take any rubbers out with me, and I didn't have any change to get some when I did.
1(in bridge, whist)rubber masculine
- He captained Australia in the home series of 1924 / 5, winning the Ashes by 4 rubbers to 1, scoring 114 and 60 in the first Test at Sydney.
- Jill Norton and Heather Reynolds won all their rubbers to amass 27 games.
- Andy Jackson also performed well winning two singles rubbers for the Lismore team.
- Pocklington recorded their fifth win on the bounce in beating Heworth 68-40 in division five, but five of the nine rubbers were very close.
- Clifton's match-winners were Mark Screeton and Stuart Robertson, who took all three rubbers in straight sets for a return of 90-35.
- Dave Hearn and Graeme Campbell took five wins from six rubbers for a two-match total of 177-90.
- Bubwith's Doug Smith and Shaun Pinchbeck did well to win a rubber and score 18.
- In their first outing as a team they were successful over Bryon Bay winning seven rubbers to five.
- Four games in, the rubber was locked at 2-2 with Ashley looking to take the upper hand.
- Clifton were a pairing short due to illness and then had to concede a further three rubbers owing to an injury picked up in the opening game of the first rubber.
- Five of the rubbers were 6-6, but top scorers John Dougherty and Betty Bainton sealed victory with a final 9-3 win.
- In the opening contest of the night Lismore City narrowly defeated RSL six rubbers to five.
- Appleton Roebuck against Wheldrake in division three provided quality tennis worthy of a higher division, the first five rubbers being drawn.
- Bubwith rescued a point by winning the middle rubber 21-15.
- Riverside sealed the men's division two title with a 6-3 win at Rowntree, whose Phil Grant was injured in the opening rubber.
- They couldn't beat Jill Schofield and Viv Williamson but won five of the rubbers, top scorers for Poppleton being Kath Halliday and Hilary Spencer winning 22 games.
- Five of the rubbers were 6-6 with Fulford taking the other four 7-5.
- Cawood's unbeaten third pair, Richard and Robert Taylor, dropped only one game in the first rubber scoring 24 overall.
- Jean Jarem and Sandra Robinson were the only couple to win all their three rubbers, collecting 24 games.
- Thursday's semi final will be a rubber match between the Warriors and second place Marauders.
2Sportserie de partidos feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.