In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine gobernantemasculine soberanofeminine soberana
- The last king of this dynasty was a ruler named Sher Daulat.
- Many Rajput kings retained a status as rulers of princely states under the British.
- Once feudal lords, the Malay rulers now perform a largely ceremonial role.
- She advised kings & rulers and worked for reconciliation among peoples.
- Luanda on the Angola coast was a Portuguese town from which they tried to exercise control over African rulers inland.
- Soon there will be another chance for citizens to choose a ruler and the present leader is using all at his disposal to win power again.
- He was the supreme ruler, the king, the emperor and his authority was absolute.
- Kings were expected to be rulers, law givers, judges, leaders of the war band and protector of the Church and people.
- King in this Middle Eastern context meant a ruler who would deal despotically with them, a governor quite different from the constitutional rulers of Europe.
- Kings and rulers are not simply those who are chosen but those who know how to rule.
- I have hardly ever agreed with what Jeremy has written, but I do think that it's wonderful that we live in a free society where we can openly criticise our leaders and rulers.
- In February workers overthrew the dictatorial ruler, the Tsar.
- Hence the exercise of the ruler's authority could be decisive in determining the outcome of local rivalries.
- In 1952, Gaj Singh was crowned as the 38th ruler of the Rathore dynasty founded in the 13th Century.
- Prior to the modern period, states were justified by reference to their rulers, their dynasties, and their religion.
- The original statue of Infant Jesus was sent there as a wedding present to the local ruler by the King of Spain in the 17th Century.
- Her father Nawab Hamidullah Khan was the ruler of second most important Muslim princely state after Hyderabad.
- The traditional Malay rulers and the King were disempowered, when some scandals offered a political opportunity to do so.
- The rulers of the Chakri dynasty, who succeeded the kings of Ayyuthaya, assumed the throne name of Rama, a practice that continues to this day.
- They have instead exchanged their colonial rulers or puppet kings for corrupt local bourgeois cliques.
- Obviously, the aim should be to cut at regular intervals but don't start getting your ruler out.
- The bundle of case papers I was sent at the start of this case was so large it could be measured with a ruler.
- In a full analysis, Christina uses a ruler and protractor to measure the letters and angles.
- Lay a ruler straight across the front and back pattern pieces.
- Most practitioners are aware of and use traditional methods, such as tracings and rulers, to evaluate wound surface area.
- The length of each tendon was measured with a millimeter ruler.
- After tamping a few square feet, use a yardstick or a ruler to measure the tamped depth.
- I then showed them how to use a white pencil to trace circles of various sizes and straight lines with rulers.
- These are exact shapes that look like they were made with a ruler or precise drawing instrument.
- Using the metal ruler as a straight edge cut 10 1-inch right triangles with the craft knife.
- To be certain, take a ruler and measure from the bottom crease of each finger to the tip.
- This enabled the school to give every poor pupil two pencils, a ruler, two pens, a rubber and two exercise books.
- As she lined up the ruler on the map, he looked over her shoulder and shrugged.
- The size of swelling and redness were measured with a plastic ruler, while the child's reaction to movement of the limb or to touch of the site was graded with a standard scale.
- She would take out a ruler and measure exactly what I asked for, make a cut and show me what she had cut.
- Clear plastic rulers and quilting templates can be a headache to store.
- Take a ruler and measure off these distances at the top of the drapes with a straight pin.
- She had a giant plastic ruler she would smack on the desk to quiet people in situations like that.
- The size of the lesion must be measured with a ruler at presentation and on subsequent visits to allow an accurate assessment of size over time.
- Draw a line with a pencil and a ruler, and the computer registers it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.