In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As in basic rummy, a meld is a combination of cards from your hand which you place face up on the table, where it stays until the end of a hand.
- The second floor seemed to be the card floor, and it was split into several areas with signs to mark off each area; there were places for blackjack, poker, craps, rummy and the rest.
- He met his buddies for coffee every morning on campus, and every afternoon at the club he played rummy.
- They are confusing me with the rules for all these new variations on rummy.
- As it is, you have a tidy game full of player interaction, with a ruleset that is similar enough to rummy to make it easy to learn and different enough to make the game feel original.
- As played by Americans, it was a sort of cross between rummy and dominoes involving building walls and then breaking them down.
- I remember the house still had gas lighting and that I was introduced to cards - whist and rummy.
- Ambusch is a card game that combines elements of rummy and poker.
- Only in the meld scoring forms of rummy including 500 Rum, canasta and their relatives is the main aim of the game to form combinations that score points.
- Saturday nights after dinner are good times for card games: crazy eights, rummy, old maid, poker, 21.
- Gin Rummy is one of the most popular forms of rummy.
- While the men played poker and rummy in the bunk-house I read one of my books in the barn.
- Card games and mah-jongg, a Chinese game similar to rummy that is played with ivory tiles, regularly involve gambling.
- Later that night, after Matthew had arrived and everyone unpacked, Christopher and the guys were playing a game of rummy in their room.
- Granny would draw the curtains lest the neighbours should spot us playing rummy in her front room.
- Leigh discovered a deck of cards and challenged Amber to a game of rummy.
- As the name suggests, this tile game is related to the card game rummy.
- Afterwards we went in together and ate our soup with the roti and then, in the lantern light by the fire, played rummy for imaginary sums.
- As the week went on he taught her gin, he taught her hearts, he taught her rummy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.