In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Smith was runner-up with 23 points — Smith quedó en segundo lugar / puesto con 23 puntos
- the top ten runners-up will receive … — los participantes que queden en los diez primeros puestos después del ganador recibirán …
- The group winners and runners-up qualify for the quarter-finals, as will the two teams with the next best records.
- There are also excellent prizes on offer for the runners-up and all the contestants receive a memento of their weekend.
- The four with the highest scores formed the A team and the runners-up formed the B team.
- One of their season's outstanding performances came against the league runners-up at the Avenue back in December.
- The Oakbank Fastbats second team were runners-up in Division Three.
- The Love of Food team were awarded a runners-up prize of £1,000-worth of mentoring support.
- Those three points, however, might mean the difference between being champions and runners-up.
- In addition, there is one set of specially produced Wainwright mugs on offer as a runner-up prize.
- Silsden must now win their final away match to force a play-off for the runners-up spot.
- In accepting the trophy the Ilkley Captain praised the efforts of his team and the runners-up.
- Five went from the zone finals at Armley as champions, and one qualified as runners-up.
- These players were world youth champions in Nigeria, runners-up in the 2000 Olympic Games.
- The under 16 team won the All County League and were runners-up in the South Down Championship.
- The first team were also runners-up in the Middlesex Cup for a second year in succession.
- He also teamed with him, and they were the runners-up as tag team of the year.
- The runners-up will face the second team from group six in the play-offs.
- With two World Cup victories and a runner-up spot since then, they have enjoyed unparalleled success.
- A young travel agent has won a top industry award went on to scoop a runners-up place in a second national competition.
- Keybury Security's six-a-side soccer team were runners-up in the Bradford Monday Premier League.
- They won the first tournament's doubles finals and were then runners-up in the second tournament.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.