In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(Jewish) sábado masculine(Christian) domingo masculine
- The Old Testament focus of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church includes dietary laws similar to the kosher tradition, circumcision after the eighth day of birth, and a Saturday sabbath.
- So sabbath meals have to be cooked before the Sabbath.
- Whereas John had worked outside settled areas, Jesus went from town to town, village to village, usually preaching in synagogues on the sabbath.
- Sunday is the Lord's Day, the Christian sabbath on which we rest from our labors and in Christ and refresh ourselves in worship.
- Nor are the sabbath candles in a Jewish household lit by a rabbi - unless she happens to be the leader of a synagogue that ordains women.
- Jesus did not call upon people to repent, or fast, or observe the sabbath.
- Our highest calling is to our God, the One God, before whom we have no other gods, whose name we do not take in vain, and whose sabbath day we keep sacred.
- Thousands of neo-Nazis held a rally, marching near a synagogue on the Jewish sabbath.
- Likewise, the Christian practice of keeping sabbath provides the time we need to break bread together - and the joyful breaking of bread at home and in worship helps us to keep sabbath.
- Although he happily watched me light the sabbath candles and even attended synagogue once, he was never going to be a part of the religious life I was constructing for myself.
- Orthodox Jews should be able to observe the Saturday sabbath and not be forced to have their hair cut.
- The command to keep the Jewish Sabbath could then be taken metaphorically to refer to any day of rest, and because of the history and customs of this country, that day is Sunday, the Christian sabbath.
- Saturday is the Jewish sabbath, whereas for Muslims the holiest day of the week is Friday.
- ‘Observe the sabbath day and keep it holy’ is not something we can blow off, according to the Deuteronomist.
- The ancient Israelites celebrated the sabbath as a day of solemn rest but as a festive occasion as well.
- In other words, doing justice and keeping sabbath are not only laws to be obeyed but gospel promises into which we are to live.
- From new moon to new moon, and from sabbath to sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before me, says the LORD.
- So far, most of the discussion of Lieberman's Jewishness has focused on a particular religious practice: sabbath observance.
- Planning takes a certain mindset, a kind of discipline. It is not unlike sabbath time, which we need to replenish our souls, our relationships, our bodies, and our imaginations.
- What I seek most is God alone, the God discovered in sabbath emptiness and silence, the God who cannot be added to a grocery list of other happenings and thrills, who cannot be managed or comprehended, who can only be loved.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.