In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(animal)marta cibelina femininemarta cebellina feminine
- Thus, you get the flora and fauna of both - tigers, panthers, wild boar and pythons tread the same tracks as reindeer, wolves and sables.
- The Chinese caravans traded silk, porcelain and tea for furs of black fox and sable, and ivory tusks from frozen mammoths.
- He wrote, ‘The principal riches of Kamchatka consist in the great number of wild beasts: among them are foxes, sables, stone foxes, hares, marmots, ermines, weasels, wolves, reindeer, wild and tame, and stone rams.’
- They herded reindeer, which provided meat and skins, caught and preserved the great shoals of salmon which surged up the summer rivers, and hunted the bears, foxes and sable, whose furs helped them to survive the cold.
- Local tribes sometimes resisted, but in the long run were subdued and subjected to tribute, usually in the form of so many skins per year, the sable being especially sought.
- Then patrol the shorelines to observe sables and the world's biggest brown bears, and to scout potential nature-reserve sites.
- Russia's first strict nature reserve - Barguzinsky Zapovednik - was founded in 1916 on the eastern shore of Lake Baikal to protect the endangered Barguzin sable.
- The area's vast reserves protect animals both rare (Barguzin sable, Baikal seal) and abundant (brown bear, forest reindeer).
- Tradition had it that the island was rich in game (reindeer, polar bears, sables, marten, fish, and certain monsters - perhaps walrus), and that it abounded in marble, crystals, and so on.
- According to old accounts, at that time, one good pelt of sable could bring enough money to buy a 50-acre farm.
2(fur)marta cibelina femininemarta cebellina feminine(fur/coat) de martasable brush — pincel de pelo de marta masculine
- You turn to look into the thrilling eyes of a beautiful woman, wonderful in diamonds and Russian sables.
- While assembling my belongings, I came across a lovely dress, a creamy chiffon, in the Empress Josephine style, with a bit of luxurious sable round the shoulder.
- The law emphasizes that only those of ‘superior degrees’ are permitted to wear satin, silk, and sable or cloth made of or mixed with gold, silver, or tinsel.
- Larsson should have been adorned in ermine and sable in Andalucia.
- Even at its zenith in the mid-20th century, mink had few rivals, with only sable and the pelts of big cats bestowing anywhere near the same prestige.
- But it was the Tzars luxurious fur coat made of sable and decorated with gold and silver thread that impressed them the most.
- Mink is America's favorite fur, according to the Fur Information Council of America, followed by sable, fox and beaver.
- On more practical ground, Ferrè also delivered a few totally tempting scarves with cashmere rib-knit on one side, and sable on the other.
- He does not wear his silks and sables to accurately represent his status, nor does he dress sumptuously to insidiously advance himself.
1masculine sablemasculine azabache literarymasculine negro azabache literary(hair/night) azabache
- They say he's tall and handsome, and that his hair is as black as sable.
- Other solid colours include sable, buff, red and chocolate.
- Shar-Pei come in just about every colour there is - black, red, red-fawn, fawn, black-pointed cream, sable and blue.
- The Tonkinese occurs in four colors: natural, which is also called sable or seal; champagne, also called chocolate; platinum, also called lilac or frost; and blue.
- Colours are orchestrated in dark tones, such as sable, olive and black accented with flashes of ultramarine.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.