In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(ceremony)sacramento masculinethe last sacraments — los últimos sacramentos
- He often speaks of the mystery of marriage, the dignity of love in marriage, the grace given by the sacrament, and the responsibilities of a married couple.
- Moral formation involves becoming a follower of Jesus Christ through the gifts of the Holy Spirit available in the sacraments of the church and the practices of Christian charity.
- Christ instituted the Church and the sacraments in order to provide grace.
- In spite of the human weakness of her members, the Church is a sign, a sacrament filled with Christ's presence, an enduring witness to her own divine origin.
- The basis of the Christian life is not our longing; it is the ‘visible Church, with sacraments and rites which are channels of invisible grace.’
- In both these books Gerrish offers a theology that highly values church, preaching and the sacraments and has the great Reformation insights about grace at its core.
- Its claim is that the Holy Spirit makes Christians in and through the church and its sacraments.
- Devotion to Christ was made possible because the early Church understood how the sacraments effected his continued presence on earth.
- The liturgy is the sacrament where the church becomes what it is supposed to be.
- We are included and sustained in Christ's salvation through the life and sacraments of the Church.
- It's a marriage in which the couple allows the grace of the sacrament to teach and empower them to love each other unconditionally.
- In the sacraments, the church powerfully bears witness to the Incarnation.
- We are to participate in the life of Christ through the sacraments of the church.
- Christian sacraments and traditions define the rites of passage for most Jamaicans and are celebrated much the same way as they are in the United States.
- Baptism, one of the sacraments of the Christian Church, may involve either total submersion, or simply the pouring of baptismal water over the forehead.
- The wine also, which through priestly consecration becomes the sacrament of Christ's blood, shows, so far as the surface goes, one thing; inwardly it contains something else.
- Apart from this understanding, the earliest Baptists seem quite self-contradictory; now denying, now affirming sacraments and creeds and church tradition.
- At the same time, as in any congregation, it means tending the physical and spiritual needs of the community through worship, the sacraments, prayer and Christian education.
2Sacrament(Eucharist)the (Blessed / Holy) Sacrament — el Santísimo Sacramento
- to receive the Holy Sacrament — recibir la Eucaristía / el Santísimo Sacramento
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.