In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the said Jean Smith — la citada Jean Smith formal
- the said property/lady — dicha propiedad/señora
- On or before 3 February 1989, the Claimant herein had failed to make the said payments as set out herein above.
- The general reader intrigued by the topic might object that Baucom has written his book in a language more accessible to his colleagues in literary criticism than to the said general reader
- Although the issue was debated at length at the national roads board work programme and that a commitment was made by the ministry to make available the said document, nothing has been done.
- It was at the time when the said Rita lived in the neighborhood.
- Mike Davis, the author of the said article, is the founder of Colorprep.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.