In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Dacron sails have also largely replaced canvas sailcloth.
- Nelson's ships sailed into action with sailcloth mostly coming from Dundee with Baxter's stamps all over it.
- The Falcon Tandem has a tighter sail, heavier sailcloth, larger control bar, new hardware and control bar fittings with 1.25 inch downtubes and a stiffer airframe.
- Blainey suggested that bases were established at both Sydney and Norfolk Island in 1788 because New Zealand flax and Norfolk Island pine could provide ropes, sailcloth, and masts for the British navy.
- The floating wooden docks and ships, the tackle and cargo and tall mast swathed in furled sailcloth, together created a smell and feel as exciting as sunshine and promise itself.
- Constructed of fine sailcloth, the sails range from four-meter rectangles for beginners, eight meter for all around use and a large 11-meter sail for use in the lightest wind conditions.
- The company's new software allows Owen to quickly take 3D measurements and then transfer the information on to computers before cutting any sailcloth.
- The cotton sailcloth sails are kept taut with a band attaching to the aft of each boat.
- Jamaica supplied hammocks (an Arawak invention) and cotton cloth to Cuba and Haiti, and the Spaniards themselves had sailcloth made in Jamaica.
- Look for strong fabrics with a tight weave such as sailcloth or canvas.
- There are stories of ships stuck fast in the Doldrums, drifting idly through day after hot, sunny day, leaving their crews nothing to do but lounge under deck shelters constructed from pieces of sailcloth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.