In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(act of selling)venta feminine
- The sale marked the first time a Chinese bank has sold assets that backed loans.
- Money from each book sale will go to the Alice Rose Trust which supports sick children.
- Amongst the conditions of sale is proof by prospective purchasers of the availability of funds.
- Mr Noonan is hopeful that the building will generate a large sum of money from its sale.
- The Gazette helped produce the calendar and all the money from its sale will go directly into the Lydia appeal fund.
- The money raised from its sale will be used to fund development projects.
- I consider that it is important to achieve a sale quickly, as prices will probably be affected by the glut of sales.
- When the holding of an auction was approved and the place and time were agreed upon, the notary drew up the conditions of sale.
- Check the terms and conditions of sale to ensure that your copyright is not infringed in any way.
- Some money from every sale goes towards the efforts of the Band Aid Trust in Africa.
- The land sale provided enough money to enable the council not only to buy a site suitable for the new school but also pay for its construction.
- It is a condition of sale that tickets are not sold on for more than their face value.
- Privatization without flotation on the stock market means either a management buy-out or sale by tender.
- The London auction house set to sell the painting said it had withdrawn the picture from sale immediately.
- We also expect sale and leaseback to prove popular as companies seek to realise maximum value from their assets.
- Money from the share sale will be used to pay off debt and fund future productions.
- In sale and leaseback, capital is freed up to put into the main activities.
- But the conditions of sale are quite clear that the tickets cannot be resold.
- In the case of the Archer family, the farmer needs all the money from the land sale to keep the farm going.
- Mr Witham said the association will use the money from the property sale to buy a smaller, more modern property.
1.2(individual transaction)venta feminineto make a sale — vender algo
- I haven't had a single sale this morning — no he vendido absolutamente nada esta mañana
- all sales final — no se aceptan devoluciones
1.3(demand, market)there's no sale for that kind of thing here — ese tipo de cosa aquí no tiene salida / no se vende bien
1.4(auction)subasta feminineremate masculine Latin America
- She regularly holds sales and other fundraising events and has raised thousands of pounds.
- The next fundraising event is an indoor sale to be held at Melksham Labour Club on February 22.
- KIND-hearted youngsters are organising a bring and buy sale to raise money.
- Half of the total has been collected from auctions, sales, coffee mornings and other events at the church in Otley Road.
- Fundraising events included a giant sale at Marshfield, lunches, jumble sales and coffee mornings.
2British(offered for sale, at auction, at reduced price)for sale — se vende
- for sale — se vende
- that vase is not for sale — ese jarrón no está en venta / no se vende
- to put sth up for sale — poner algo en venta
- (at reduced price) on sale
- toys are on sale this week — esta semana los juguetes están rebajados / en liquidación
- I bought the dress on sale — compré el vestido rebajado
- on sale for $25, reduced from $45 — rebajado de 45 a 25 dólares
- antique dolls will be on sale — se venderán muñecas antiguas
- on sale now at leading stores — ya está a la venta en los principales comercios
- (at auction) the collection goes on sale next month — la colección se subastará el mes que viene
- the new model goes on sale this week — el nuevo modelo sale a la venta esta semana
- (on) sale or return — en consignación
- the goods are supplied (on) sale or return — entregan las mercancías en depósito / en consignación
3(clearance)rebajasliquidación feminine(price) de liquidaciónend of season sale — rebajas / liquidación de fin de temporada
- going-out-of-business / closing-down sale — rebajas por liquidación del negocio
- I bought it at a sale/ in the sales — lo compré en una liquidación / en las rebajas
- sale items / goods — artículos de liquidación
4.1(volume sold)volumen de ventas masculineventas(promotion/figures/campaign) de ventassales forecast — previsión de ventas feminine
- However, expectations are extremely high for the year ahead such that three of four repair shops are expecting sales to increase.
- But when prices fall, sales generally increase, offsetting some of the decrease in revenue.
- Over a period of time, the increase in sales starts to slow down and this is known as the maturity stage.
- The shop targets to achieve sales worth Rs.23 crores during the current financial year.
- The fear is that corporate profits have been boosted by cost cutting, not increased sales and prices from a revival of the economy.
- The fall of the dollar has further weakened the company because the value of its US sales were reduced when converted back to euro.
- Profits in Spain and Poland were reduced by price cuts, and sales also slipped in Belgium and Ukraine.
- The company says that on an annualised basis it will reduce sales and marketing costs by £15 million a year.
- If it is priced wisely, Octavia sales next year should increase even further.
- While Nan Fung achieved solid sales by cutting prices, market sources said other developers were unlikely to follow suit.
- Conflicting evidence suggests that swapping music either increases or reduces CD sales.
- Imagined relationships are a part of the TV shopping channel experience that increases sales.
- Larger music companies say they'll reduce prices on the coolest CDs in an effort to boost sales and reduce piracy.
- The overall annual quantity of our beef sales to Egypt when translated into live cattle equivalent amounts to 450,000 animals.
- Marks and Spencer reported its first increase in quarterly clothing sales for nearly three years with sales in Irish shops still on the rise.
- A survey released by the CBI has revealed that traders nationally are facing a slower festive period with sales not as high as last year.
- It seems that this year's photography sales have started pushing prices into areas once traditionally associated with paintings or sculpture.
- Combine quick load times with great products as well as great prices and your sales will start to sky rocket.
- All divisions reported increased sales and either reduced losses or improved earnings.
- Margiotta said figures for the current year would show increases and that sales at its new shop in Dundas Street were above target.
4.2(department, volume sold)ventas(department/executive/manager) de ventasshe works in sales — trabaja en ventas
- the sales force — el personal de ventas
- sales prospect — posible cliente
- sales target — objetivo de ventas
- We play but a support role in the most important aspect of the promotional products business: sales.
- The retail sales report can be compared to the sales activity of a publicly traded company.
- Each of these groups has its own business manager, sales manager and product development manager.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.