In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1vendedora femininedependienta feminine
- The oh-so-helpful saleslady measured my feet.
- The smothering saleslady held the dress up to me.
- The saleslady smiled and prompted, ‘Would you like to pay for those now, so I can remove the tags?’
- He ask the kindly saleslady to select some ten books that has romance as a subject, the lady gladly helped him and picked up some of the thickest books he had ever bought.
- My Aunt Dot was donating two days a week as a saleslady at the United Nations Gift Shop, which was a charity enterprise that sold globes and flags and little sculptures that you'd never want in your house.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.