In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In their seventh time around, De La Soul is concerned with hip-hop's salvation.
- If mainstream comedy is to move away from its stagnant form, I feel it will find salvation in more absurd comedy.
- It is to be hoped that he can find salvation in the songs which have enthralled so many others, and that his remarkable story has the happy ending many feel he deserves.
- Whereas we still harbour reasonable hopes of ending 38 years of footballing hurt, English tennis seems beyond salvation.
- Some countries turned to dictators like Hitler for economic and political salvation.
- Can we somehow get ourselves to consume our way to economic salvation?
- In the mid-Nineties, with Argentina facing an economic crisis, Monsanto stepped in with an offer of salvation.
- The NDP platform is full of recommendations on how a green economy is our country's salvation.
- But now salvation is in sight for the village team due to the formation of a committee who plan to return football to Skelton at junior and senior levels.
- The more entrepreneurial found economic salvation in self-employment.
- What a disappointment for those who pin their hopes for political salvation on economic failure!
- While individual mops and brooms can only go so far, despair may be growing about where to turn for the capital city's salvation.
2(person, thing)salvación feminineshe has been his salvation — ella ha sido su salvación
- Today she lives by herself and her salvation has been her painting.
- I was horrible at math - failing math all the time. My only salvation and my only release to feel good about myself was art.
- Luckily, a phone call to Tim's sister proved to be our salvation.
- Again, he points to the mobile phone as his salvation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.