In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Whereas we still harbour reasonable hopes of ending 38 years of footballing hurt, English tennis seems beyond salvation.
- If mainstream comedy is to move away from its stagnant form, I feel it will find salvation in more absurd comedy.
- Can we somehow get ourselves to consume our way to economic salvation?
- The more entrepreneurial found economic salvation in self-employment.
- In their seventh time around, De La Soul is concerned with hip-hop's salvation.
- What a disappointment for those who pin their hopes for political salvation on economic failure!
- The NDP platform is full of recommendations on how a green economy is our country's salvation.
- While individual mops and brooms can only go so far, despair may be growing about where to turn for the capital city's salvation.
- In the mid-Nineties, with Argentina facing an economic crisis, Monsanto stepped in with an offer of salvation.
- But now salvation is in sight for the village team due to the formation of a committee who plan to return football to Skelton at junior and senior levels.
- Some countries turned to dictators like Hitler for economic and political salvation.
- It is to be hoped that he can find salvation in the songs which have enthralled so many others, and that his remarkable story has the happy ending many feel he deserves.
2(person, thing)salvación feminineshe has been his salvation — ella ha sido su salvación
- Again, he points to the mobile phone as his salvation.
- Today she lives by herself and her salvation has been her painting.
- Luckily, a phone call to Tim's sister proved to be our salvation.
- I was horrible at math - failing math all the time. My only salvation and my only release to feel good about myself was art.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.