In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(specimen)muestra femininea blood sample — una muestra de sangre
- a urine sample — una muestra de orina
- a rock sample — una muestra de roca
- a soil sample — una muestra de suelo
- before noun sample question — pregunta tipo
- sample paper — examen tipo
- we looked at a few sample cases — estudiamos algunos casos muestrales
- If you are in any doubt consider having a sample analysed.
- The cross sections of the samples are analyzed, and the pigments are identified under a polarizing or scanning electron microscope.
- To date, more than 44,000 blood samples have been analysed from over 760 herds, drawn from 26 counties.
- Grain and hay samples were analyzed for DM, ash, and soluble protein.
- In 15 years, when it's even easier to analyze a DNA sample, might governments not see DNA as the last word in personal identification?
- If your doctor thinks you have a bladder infection, he or she will test a sample of your urine to find out if there are bacteria in it.
- Surprisingly simple, this machine analyzes the blood samples of several people at once, and then differences show up as peaks on this computer.
- The samples were analyzed by the University of North Carolina - Asheville's Environmental Quality Institute.
- To date over 9,000 samples have been analysed in the UK and around 80% have come back showing some evidence of infection.
- Australian police yesterday won the right to analyse genetic samples taken from a prime suspect in the suspected murder of a Yorkshire backpacker.
- We conduct science activity camps such as life sciences or nature camps where students are taught how to collect and analyse samples and discuss their findings.
- The samples are being analysed and the results will be posted on the division's website by October 2001.
- The International Commission on Missing Persons will analyze bone samples.
- An accredited laboratory can help by analyzing a dust sample.
- There is a specific provision in the Act for the consumer to get the sample analysed in the laboratory established for the purpose.
- Laboratory workers unaware of the disease status of the participants analysed blood samples for C pneumoniae using whole organism antigen and time resolved fluorimetry.
- The first step is to have a blood sample analyzed for its HLA (Human Leukocyte Antigen) profile.
- The samples were analysed by the internationally respected Cawthron Institute in Nelson, New Zealand.
- Overall, the scientists found chlorogenic acid to be the predominant compound in all the samples analyzed.
- Nearly half did not analyse samples in the most effective way.
2Businessmuestra feminine(goods) (before noun) de muestraa free sample — una muestra gratuita
- a factory sample — una muestra de fábrica
- sample case/book — muestrario
- sample pack — paquete de muestras
- Some also give away free samples to encourage you to buy.
- Salon brands, like Aveda and Kheil's, have mini-sized products and free samples that are perfect for tiny budgets and tiny baskets!
- During the classes we are given samples of the food that the chefs are demonstrating as well as matching wines.
- Some catering companies will provide food samples also.
- Gardeners, cooks and veggies mix in a celebration of education, spectacle, fun and food samples.
- These representatives of companies travelled round the country displaying samples to prospective customers and taking orders.
- I was in the kitchen, baking old-fashioned recipes, giving away free samples and recipe cards.
- Only customer samples are available now, with full-scale production commencing in Q3, the company admitted.
- Those who were unfamiliar with the taste of the halwas took a bite from the sample cups.
- My friend's quesadilla is so good that my one-bite sample turns into a whole quarter of her meal.
- A battle is raging for the hearts and wallets of new mothers as two companies compete to distribute free samples of baby products in the country's biggest hospitals.
- Gillette has given away 80,000 product samples at matches up and down the country, all without incident.
- In a now-famous experiment, recounted in Schwartz's book, researchers set up a table at a specialty food store, offering samples of jam.
- Rather, he wants it to serve the same function as one of those toothpicked food samples at the supermarket: a way to entice consumers to buy the whole shebang.
- One strategy taken from traditional marketing, is to give away free samples.
- The centre also hopes to set up a trail around the town by asking local food retailers to offer samples of their fare or special offers.
- Stall-holders often complain that they give away copious free samples but do not make many sales, which suggests to me that the right audience is not getting to them.
- When customers visit the shop, free samples of some of your best product is always a smart loss-leader.
- But none of them could sell their products, and none of them could provide free samples of their product until after the judges had sampled their wares.
- I just wish they'd give away free samples or sell smaller-sized bags so I can more cheaply see which formula this puppy prefers.
3(for statistics)muestra femininea representative sample — una muestra representativa
- we took a random sample — hicimos un muestreo aleatorio
- before noun in 16 sample libraries — en 16 bibliotecas tomadas como muestra
- Fifteen studies examined total populations or random samples of such populations.
- To study a distribution, take random samples from a population and analyze them.
- Five trials either did not report a clear calculation of sample size or failed to achieve the intended sample size.
- For the whole sample, we identified whether participants were high or low on locus and controllability.
- The same causal model applied to the whole sample and the split samples of students born in Hong Kong and on the mainland.
1(food) degustar(food) gustar(food) probarsample the delights of traditional Greek hospitality — descubra las delicias de la tradicional hospitalidad griega
- We enjoyed some excellent food and they sampled a few more varieties of Canadian wines and beers, all of which they had commented quite favourably on.
- Here you can sample the produce and talk to the knowledgeable guides, who'll also show you the rows off vines planted on the rocky soils of the hills behind.
- Women will contribute to a potluck refreshment stand where they sample nutritional food that can help reduce certain health risks and problems.
- The three of us stop at the Boeger Winery tasting room to sample their Barbera varietal.
- Do they prefer sampling a product in a store, or getting a trial package in the mail?
- The eat on the street is running on George's Street from 3-5 pm and will give everyone a chance to sample foods from other cultures.
- One of the highlights was the Tuscan vineyard and the opportunity to sample the wine and food after a guided tour of the 1000-year-old winery.
- The stalls on the side of the road tend to sell cheap touristy products, but you should check them out anyway to sample some of the food items.
- Once at the beach everyone was free to go local, sample snacks and drinks at the beach tavernas, swim nude, or just hang out.
- Usda inspectors sample apples to gauge taste and other quality factors.
- If you have room left over for dessert, you can sample the Honey Cake, which comes with fresh strawberries.
- A Jamaican steel band and reggae entertainment are set to liven up the party at BBC WM and special guests can sample traditional food and drink.
- Tonight I had the opportunity to sample Pop Secret's Honey Butter Popcorn.
- Start with water, and sample the other five foods to see which work best for you.
- Next up we sampled the Tuna Tataki, and again, it featured an inventive combination of textures and flavours: the seared tuna, served with grated radish and slivers of roasted garlic, lay on a crisp bed of greens.
- Don't miss the chance to sample the wines that this family has been producing since the 1880s.
- You may also want to set up a booth at the front desk and let members sample food for your healthy cooking class or have your new salon dab free lotion on members' hands as they leave.
- There will be cookery demonstrations, videos, information and, of course, a chance to sample some of the delicious food that will be on display.
- The Food Fight offers a chance to sample food and drink prepared by more than 45 restaurants and beverage suppliers.
- Of course we found an Irish pub before leaving and we sampled the food and drink on our last night after a hard week's work.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.