In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The world of the samurai in ancient Japan has long been intriguing.
- There were also some Social-climbing merchants who had money and paid to become adopted by a samurai family.
- When he was a little kid, Bill went to Japan and started studying with the greatest samurai warrior alive today.
- The samurai no longer believed that being a good warrior was all that was necessary.
- I worried that the wait staff might pull out their samurai swords at any moment.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.