In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1arena femininesand-colored — color arena
- The land was mostly flat and featureless; even the most desolate of the southern deserts had some rolling sand dunes and some cacti.
- The Umbra came to rest in the center of a small ring of rocks, its landing struts sinking into the fine desert sand.
- Fort Lauderdale Beach Promenade along Atlantic Boulevard provides scenic and easy access to miles of golden sand beaches.
- There is another irony about desert sand dunes: They are a product of both aridity and water.
- I look out at two miles of white sand beach, lapped by water with a visibility of 200 feet.
- About two kilometers around the lake, the sand beach turned into rocks and there was a huge cliff over top.
- A part of him refused to entertain the notion that when he reached its edge, he would be confronted by miles of unrelenting desert sand.
- On the beach we placed our towels on the golden sand.
- The beach, which I'd always pictured as miles of golden sand, is actually a short stretch of pebbles.
- There has been speculation the maverick Republicans use the isolated sand dunes along Ballyhornan beach to test fire guns and explosives.
- Lanzarote is a volcanic island, which accounts for the dark sand on some beaches.
- With no collection system, mountains of empty plastic bottles pile up in sand dunes behind its white sand beaches.
- The work could be viewed both from boats cruising the bay and from a deserted beach lined with sand dunes.
- A perfect view of the ocean stretched out before her, the waves rolling slowly towards the rock and sand of the beach.
- As loose as dry sand, such crystals often constitute the critical weak layer of a slab avalanche.
- Should you prefer to keep your head above water, the beaches, with their fine golden sand and tall palms, won't disappoint.
- The action of the play takes place in a remote ramshackle beach house built on sand dunes.
- It was beautiful, with golden sand and green vegetation further along the beach.
- The main attraction of Wollogorang Station is the 80 km of yellow sand beaches and river estuaries
- This half-day guided tour will bring them right onto the golden sand dunes of Arabia in four-wheel drives.
- Exactly one month later, the Duke of Edinburgh officially opened the £1 million terminal and flew the Swift across the Goodwin Sands himself.
2(expanse of sand)arena femininethe burning sands of the desert — las ardientes arenas del desierto
- to build on sand — hacer castillos de arena
- to run into the sand(s) — estancarse
- the talks ran into the sand(s) — las conversaciones se estancaron
- the sands are running out for him — tiene los días contados
1(make smooth)(wood/furniture) lijar(floor) pulir
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.