In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A group of militiamen, apparently unarmed, stood beneath a large sandalwood tree.
- They had mapped out various routes through parts of the buffer zone of the reserve which has a number of sandalwood trees.
- Tell me about the sort of products you'd get out the sandalwood tree.
- Sitting in the centre of Wanfuge, the largest pavilion, is a 26-metre statue of Maitreya, Buddha of the Future, carved out of a single trunk of a white sandalwood tree.
- The area once rich with red sanders, sandalwood and teak trees, deer, boars, wild sheep and tigers, was widely plundered before it was declared a reserve forest.
- The sandalwood needs to be planted with a host plant which provides nutrients for the first couple of years of its life.
- There was a pause during which I seemed to hear the regular gentle swish of the punkah and the steady buzzing of the cicadas in the sandalwood trees.
- A tall sandalwood tree, the transverse section of a teak trunk and the colossal egg of an ostrich are some of the other fascinating exhibits.
- So now we're standing next to one of the sandalwood trees.
- In the February issue, Marayoor, known for its natural sandalwood forests and prehistoric rock paintings, is featured.
- He is also said to have slain more than 2,000 elephants for their tusks and felled thousands of sandalwood trees.
- He switched on later to the lucrative clandestine trade of felling and smuggling of sandalwood trees.
- The measures include special legislation, creating a sandalwood forest division and a task force for forest protection and the rehabilitation of tribals.
- That meant that gangs could be poaching the sandalwood and in the process killing the ‘sacred trees,’ elephants, and perhaps even people.
- The Government should impose strict measures to contain illegal cutting down of sandalwood trees.
- Likewise, it is ideal to encourage individuals to grow sandalwood trees.
- But after the felling of a sandalwood tree inside the GNP, the authorities have decided not to allow the mahout and the animal into the park.
- Many of the islands are mountainous and heavily forested with teak, ebony, and sandalwood.
- One of the trees found in tropical deciduous forests is the sandalwood tree.
- A sandalwood tree infected with this mycoplasma organism usually dies within three years.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.