In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1saco de arena masculinesaco terrero masculine
1(barricade)proteger con sacos de arenaproteger con sacos terreros
- Cultural heritage sites, from medieval castles to irreplaceable works of art, were under threat in the 800-year-old Czech capital Prague and the German city of Dresden, while tourist areas were sealed off and sandbagged.
- Trenches are being dug, power stations sandbagged and people have started to carry gas masks around with them.
- In the first days of INTERFET a number of sandbagged positions were built on the forward deck of the unarmed ship from which machine gunners watched grimly as the ship travelled close to ‘unknown’ territory when entering Dili Harbour.
- A tough decision must be made with respect to sandbagging the trucks.
- Sharpshooters were stationed on rooftops, troops levelled guns from sandbagged windows and armoured vehicles rumbled through the streets of Jamaica's capital, Kingston, under the protection of a hovering helicopter gunship.
- At the Information Ministry, also on the river's west bank, civilians armed with rocket-propelled grenade rifles stood by and a half-dozen soldiers manned sandbagged positions.
- Marines fought house-to-house against dozens of well-armed insurgents firing at them from balconies, rooftops and sandbagged bunkers in the border town of Obeidi and surrounding villages.
- A shallow trench took us to a forward observation post, a sandbagged nest with binoculars and links to the unmanned aerial vehicles circling overhead.
- We came upon two sandbagged positions, both deserted.
- Volunteers have reinforced dikes along the Elbe River and sandbagged their homes and businesses trying to avoid a deluge.
- These options have been to either send in shirtsleeve forces who must displace and fight from sandbagged 5-ton cargo trucks or send in forces equipped with 68-ton Abrams tanks and Bradley fighting vehicles.
- The containers in which the soldiers live and operate could be sandbagged on the exterior to protect the occupants from small arms fire and fragmentation.
- For each section, terram was laid, sandbags placed to hold it in position, and then the lines of historic palisades and piles were sandbagged.
- The councillor said the problem along Highway 52 has been going on for the past four or five years, noting this year alone several houses in the areas have had to be sandbagged.
- The device was sandbagged, the area cleared and then the tranquillity shattered briefly as a sympathetic charge disposed of the shell.
- Fearing floods, thousands of residents sandbagged their homes.
- Outside the heavily guarded and sandbagged main gate is a gaggle of small boys, hustling DVDs of The Passion of the Christ and the Baywatch satire, Son of the Beach, to GIs.
- Beside us, a Forward Air Controller uses a powerful periscope to pinpoint enemy targets over the sandbagged rim of the observation post.
- In case anyone starts to think they are camping in the park instead of hunkering down in a war zone, the camp's perimeter is ringed by razor wire and sandbagged foxholes manned by armed guards.
- Marines take cover behind a sandbagged fighting position to lay down a hail of paintball rounds on the opposition.
2US informal(bully)forzarobligar con medio de amenazasobligar por medio de amenazas
- This in itself is A-OK, but such countries run the risk of being sandbagged by protectionist tariffs initiated by neighbouring nations.
- He had already announced that he was planning to leave the program to work on a book, but he knew he had been sandbagged, and he didn't like it.
- I think that he was sandbagged a bit by the way they were reported originally.
- But they sandbagged her, so the last thing she was going to do was take insults from the man who almost ruined her career.
- I felt sandbagged by the organizers, so after five to ten minutes I left,’ recounted Kay.
- He accused them of sandbagging him by not fully explaining what they intended to do.
- Do you feel in any way, Governor, sandbagged by some other Democrats in the party?
3US slang(deceive)he was sandbagging me — no estaba jugando a tope, para engañarme
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.