In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- On his forearm was a black coloured sandstone wrist-guard, or bracer.
- Hydrogen sulfide often is present in wells drilled in shale or sandstone, or near coal or peat deposits or oil fields.
- The desertscape, with its gateway at Jodhpur, is a blend of browns, creams and reds; sand and sandstone.
- Higher, steeper slopes of the Vosges have thin topsoil, with subsoils of weathered gneiss, granite, sandstone, schist, and volcanic sediments.
- Just ahead, he must pass between a yellow peak of sandstone, and a reddish one, perhaps containing iron ore like the stones used in the Krelling forge.
- These are relatively soft rocks with a distinctive brick red colour and are composed mainly of sandstone and mudstone.
- Majestic figures appear as if by magic from blocks of apple wood, hawthorn, sandstone, limestone, bronze and marble.
- ‘Nothing looks worse than the wrong material in the wrong place, say a yellow sandstone wall in a limestone area,’ he says.
- Different stones require different approaches: thus limestone and sandstone are relatively soft stones which can be easily carved and have softer contours.
- The outer walls are striking with their elegant green and red and yellow sandstone, and the whole is as Italian and un-Gothic as any building in Italy.
- The coastline to their right was an endless sea of sand and tan-coloured sandstone.
- The lithology of the bedrock can vary from basalt to sandstone and various carbonate rocks, but most caves form through the dissolution of limestone.
- The plaque is made from fine grained sandstone, probably derived from a skerry bed in local Mercia mudstone deposits.
- There are two rock gardens, limestone and sandstone, a scented garden, a stream garden, a woodland garden, a bog garden and a dry garden.
- Geologically, this ecozone is primarily horizontally layered sedimentary rock; limestone, shale, and sandstone.
- The miles of sand, and yellowed sandstone passed by him like a sea of golden-yellow waves.
- Made of sand-like quartz, sandstone comes in a variety of colors.
- Riders maneuver through a wilderness of rough terrain, brilliant sandstone formations, sand dunes, and wildlife.
- Today he was sporting a relaxed suit of sandstone brown, with blinding white shirt underneath his jacket.
- I have used granite, sandstone and quartz type rocks and am continually placing rocks in various parts of the gardens to harness energies.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.