In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(beach/path) de arena(soil) arenosothe towels were all sandy — las toallas estaban llenas de arena
- He is using computer modeling and mapping to identify the locations of these sandy or shallow soils.
- Whilst the rugged northern coast absorbs a perennial battering from the sea, the southern shoreline is sheltered and calm, with sandy beaches and natural harbours.
- At the bottom of the cliff was a sandy beach, waves thundering relentlessly onto the sand.
- At Arillas, a resort with a sandy beach and watersports, the Christos Apartments offer spacious two-bedroom accommodation sleeping five.
- The area covers 1,200 hectares of land and consists of flat plains, foothills and a white sandy beach, sloping down towards a crystal blue sea.
- Soils in this classification include fine sands, loamy sands and fine sandy loams.
- Next day the roads and hollows or low-lying places resembled closely the sandy, pebbly beach on the sea shore.
- The river flows out in a lagoon setting and joins the lake just outside a long extended finger of sand, right beside a beautiful sandy beach.
- It is mostly flat and sandy, with little fertile soil.
- The memory of California is just getting back to me while I walk along the sandy beach, swishing the sand under my shoes.
- Golden sandy beaches, international restaurants, hip cafes and Greek hospitality inspire many European artists and writers to live here all year round.
- The Brazos also has many sand bars and sandy beaches that make for great picnic spots or swim areas.
- Coming back we crossed a vast expanse of low, sandy hummocks covered with sand verbena.
- The islands are ringed by sandy beaches and surrounded by shallow seas.
- The country is blessed with hundreds of miles of sprawling sandy beaches, with fine white sand and clear blue water.
- Its fine sandy beach runs the length of its 40 km wingspan, and just under a million Germans holiday here every year, so why is it that we Brits haven't even heard of it?
- Some lawns are planted on shallow, sandy soil and are almost impossible to keep green during these hot August days.
- There is also a pleasant resort at Tsilvi, which has a long sandy beach with shallow water, making it ideal for people with young families.
- Lazy summer days are made to be spent on the gravel flats and sandy beaches along Northern California's Russian River.
- If your soil is mostly sandy, the Nitrogen in the fertilizer should leach out fairly quickly with continued watering.
2(in color)(hair) rubio rojizo
- He seemed a few years older than Pavel, had light brown eyes and sandy golden hair, and his cheeks were flushed from the run in the cold air.
- His once dirty blond hair had become a light, sandy brown and his scrawny build had been filled out with muscles.
- A tall guy stood at the front door, his sandy brown hair shining in the light.
- I have shoulder length sandy brown hair, blue eyes, am always smiling, and wear western and leather clothing.
- He looked up at me through a light curtain of sandy hair.
- Chelsea quickly ran her fingers through her sandy brown hair and applied a fresh coat of mascara.
- Michelle was a slim girl with green eyes and sandy brown hair.
- Rough stubbles of wispy hair were developing on his dimpled chin and his rough curling sandy brown hair was unkempt and tousled wildly.
- One of them had golden blond hair and a football player's build, while the second had light, sandy brown hair and blue eyes.
- He was very short and he had a mouse-like appearance; small nose, small eyes, pale skin and an extremely light sandy hair.
- He was tall and gorgeous, with rumpled sandy brown hair and azure eyes that Audrey could tell broke the hearts of girls everywhere.
- His sandy brown hair was tied back with a small black string.
- He had light green eyes with sandy golden hair not unlike his own.
- His short, sandy brown hair was kind of messy and fell to just above his ears.
- His sandy brown hair was fixed with just the right amount of gel.
- He was followed by another boy, with light, sandy hair and green eyes.
- A guy with sandy brown hair was sitting on one of the seats, his foot tapping in an impatient rhythm.
- I couldn't tell how tall he was because he was sitting down but he had sandy brown hair and brown eyes.
- At first, my attentions were placed on Kevin, who was cute with his sandy brown hair and light brown eyes.
- She had very long sandy brown hair that she wore in a French braid.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.