In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(not mad)cuerdoI began to wonder whether he was entirely sane — empecé a preguntarme si estaba en sus cabales / en su sano juicio
- it's the only thing that keeps me sane — es lo que impide que me vuelva loco
- I have to watch my mouth around them and can't act crazy because they're so sane.
- The Yorkshire Ripper was last night claimed to be planning a bid for freedom - by proving he is now sane.
- The state had one expert and he never came out and actually testified that she was sane.
- Alana left in a hurry, leaving Angela wondering if her Mom had any sane friends left in Fallon Creek.
- Second, because it is simply incredible that any lawyer, or indeed any sane person, would give such advice.
- The sane traveler takes with them an almost inexhaustible supply of patience.
- Now that there have been two consultations, no sane person can claim that they have not had the opportunity to have their say!
- If you go to your local restaurant and behave like a sane person, no one cares.
- Every sane person will expect the Government to take sensible precautions.
- No sane person would, for example, start a high street pizzeria without first doing some homework concerning the market.
- Any sane person will agree that the culprit of the Kitwe accident cannot be described as a normal person.
- Michael is also the most sane member of this very, very dysfunctional family.
- Surely no sane person believes that this explosion of violence is restricted to our country.
- She raised an eyebrow; most people didn't seem to think she was sane when they first met her.
- Can any sane person accept that a civilized world should function in this way?
- I tend to think trading virtual futility for spiritual futility is a step no sane person would take.
- The decision reopens a longstanding debate about whether mentally ill inmates can be executed if they are sane only while taking drugs.
- Either way, nobody knew the man's mental state, but it was believed he was perfectly sane.
- I wanted to prove to them that I was sane, and I figured the best way to do that would to act as calm as possible.
- As we would all like to believe, Canada is a sane country and we are a sane people.
- I know nothing about shoe repair and resizing so I was wondering if this is a sane undertaking or if I should just cut my losses.
- Persuade me also that there's a sane reason for dropping Cadenza from National Radio.
- There is no sane reason to review the acting or storyline in A Night To Dismember.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.