In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He imports the cotton and silk sarees from Chennai, Mumbai and Coimbatore.
- From cotton to chiffon sarees and from crepe to crush silk sarees the varieties are too many.
- Ladies were dressed in saris and shalwar kameez of vibrant shades making the streets of Wootton Bassett awash with colour.
- The Bengal cotton sarees and other dress materials have been brought out in colourful hues, to match the changing trends in the fashion world.
- Among saris, there are the traditional cotton prints and also the Chanderi cotton and silk saris which are priced reasonably.
- Sherwani, silk sarees and ghagra cholis were designed and developed under the category of bridal wear.
- From gorgeous silk saris to plain dhotis, there is a discount on every item at the Hantex showroom.
- The elaborate knit work on cotton and silk sarees from Dacca takes at least 12 days to complete.
- A seasoned chazzer can spot linen lounge pants, a cashmere cardie or a silk sari at 100 paces.
- Apart from silk varieties, cotton sarees and churidhars from places like Paramakudi and Coimbatore are also on sale.
- There were kurtas and saris, dhotis and lungis, trousers, towels and aprons in brilliant hues and varied textures.
- There was a lot of music and dancing and many people wore traditional Indian clothing, including women's lenghas and sarees and Kurta pyjamas for the men.
- Pochampalli sarees in mercerised cotton, silk sarees in semi katan, pure katan and in warf and weft creations look elegant.
- There were three white skinned women who were inexpertly draped in Indian saris with long sleeved jackets.
- Today we see our womenfolk in sarees and salwar kameez.
- The handlooms include the usual dress material of Oriya cottons, some light, airy Maheswari cottons, skirts and sarees.
- The sight of a fair-skinned woman in a sari or salwar kameez invites stares.
- Out of the gift box came spanking new saris, shirts, trousers, lungis and nighties and the happiness of the inmates knew no bounds.
- Pochampally silk and cotton sarees boldly announce their strength and durability.
- I brought in a silk saree (traditional Indian garb for women) that represented the ambivalence I have about certain cultural and gender expectations.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.