In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(on dress)faja feminine
- They may also wear broad red sashes tied at the waist.
- Anyways, tying a sash around the waist is a great way to accessorise and makes the two layers seem more cohesive.
- Women wear long flowing skirts, and men dress in white shirts with colorful sashes.
- Remember ladies, if your coat has a belt or sash on it, remember to tie it around your waist to make it look more defined.
- On the bench where we were last sitting was a young man with long black hair, dressed in a tight black robe with a red sash tied around his waist.
- She pulled a brightly coloured gown over her shift, tying it at the waist with a decorative sash.
- He wore only a pair of earth colored pants with a leaf-patterned sash about his waist.
- I wore the blue scarf, which is actually more of a shawl or a sash, around my waist and the blue rose in my hair the next day.
- The man has dark white trousers and a black sash around his waist.
- Young men in white shirts and red sashes grasped each other round the shoulders to form a ring fifteen feet across.
- Rural women wear baggy black or colored trousers, a long shirt belted with a sash, and a length of cotton over the head.
- Just left of center, a pair of women stroll across the field in white dresses decorated with blue sashes and large hats embellished with coral-colored ribbons.
- She was wearing a gold dressing gown, with a blue sash at the waist, and pink slippers with pom-poms.
- She wore a flimsy white cotton dress with short sleeves, a pink sash about the waist, and a skirt that blew in the wind.
- He was dressed in a gorgeous robe with a golden sash tied around his waist and was standing tall and strong.
- I straightened out the bow on the sash at my waist and examined myself in the mirror once more.
- A sinister looking retainer, dressed in a dark uniform with a blue sash and blue and white turban opened the rusty gate.
- She was wearing a long blue dress, with a red sash tied around her waist.
- Cloaks, sashes, jerkins and gloves lined the very top shelf that went the width of the wardrobe.
- She'd been wearing a loose turquoise tunic, tied with a black sash at the waist and matching black leggings.
2(on uniform)masculine fajínfeminine banda
1(of window)marco masculinesash cord — cuerda de ventana de guillotina feminine
- sash fastener — cierre de ventana de guillotina
- To install this system, just drill a hole in the upper corner of the lower window frame and align it with holes in the top sash.
- What makes the joints so weak is the fact that the bottom sashes sit on the sill with the end grains exposed.
- In order for a sash window to work easily and effectively, it is important that both the frame and the sash are made accurately.
- One thing to note, however, a vinyl window with welded frame and sashes will be stronger and more durable than a cheaper one in which these are mechanically joined.
- With the acrylic blocks, the window sash is actually light enough that the entire window can operate.
- If windows must be replaced and are beyond repair, they should be replaced with exact replicas - sliding sashes must be replaced by sliding sashes and not with swing out windows.
- There are also vinyl windows available that have small, adjustable ports above one of the sashes, allowing a very small amount of air to enter the house without the security problems of leaving a window ajar.
- Make sure that both the window sashes and screen sash move smoothly and seal tightly when closed after installation.
- If both sashes move, weatherstrip them as you would for a double-hung window.
- Paint the lower part of their sash first, then raise the window and do the upper part.
- They allow the hinge edge of the sash to slide away from the window frame as it opens.
- Resourceful gardeners can combine a few discarded window sashes and bales of straw to create a simple makeshift cold frame.
- A small crowd pressed up near the open windows to listen, but not all the sashes had been raised.
- With sandpaper or a rasp, clean off bits of putty which remain on the wood or metal sash.
- Horizontal sliding windows are like double-hung windows except that the sashes are located on the left and right edges rather than on the tops and bottoms.
- Paint analysis showed that the doors, door frames, and window sashes on the second floor of the addition, long assumed to be painted pine, were actually black walnut.
- She threw open his two window sashes to the ceiling.
- Glass is a heavy material and sliding the sashes up and down also puts a strain on the joints.
- Glass doors on adjacent cabinets feature a muntin grid similar to those on the window sashes.
- Just as the blasted thing went off I ran over to the window and threw up the sash, then dashed out the door and down the hall.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.