In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1andar pavoneándoseandar dándose aires informalshe sashayed around the hall in her mink coat — se pavoneaba por la sala con su abrigo de visón
- Drew glanced at the high-heeled, short-skirted girl now sashaying her way up the driveway.
- She normally sat at the opposite end of the room, but had strutted over, sashaying her hips to talk with him.
- Some of them seem to be like our typical male models who while sashaying down the ramp in fashion shows give a demonstration of their well-built bodies.
- She draped the white fur coat seductively around her shoulders and sashayed into the sitting room.
- I stared at her, breath ragged, as she walked to the door, sashaying her hips calmly.
- They've spun, tangoed, waltzed, rumbaed, salsaed, funked, jazzed, hip-hopped and twirled their little hearts out and now they're sashaying off into the sunset in an hour-long final.
- She looked up at me, and our eyes met for a brief instant, before she walked away, sashaying down the street towards the comedy club.
- They sashay along the red carpet, botox-smooth and silicone-enhanced, so blatantly vain and unabashedly full of themselves, spinning for scores of photographers.
- Rivulets of sweat poured down our backs and James called out to us to walk like models sashaying down a ramp.
- Stunning in an ivory off-the-shoulder creation, with lace trim and offset by a lengthy train, the blonde dancer sashayed her way down the aisle to the side of her clearly ecstatic husband-to-be.
- She evaded his grasp and left without another word, sashaying her hips tauntingly.
- The parade of models sashaying down the runway in the Eldorado Ballroom had local fashion designers earning spirited cheers and rousing applause from the approving crowd.
- Models sashayed the catwalk in their jeans, textural cable knit sweaters and big fur bags.
- With that, she sashayed away, throwing me a glance over her shoulder.
- So there we were with our slinky little dresses, sashaying across the stage singing religious music and I think it just took the world aback.
- She sashays her way through the weekend with a natural elegance and sense of fun.
- She laughed again, and sashayed off, hips swaying.
- Heads turn automatically as she sashays into view.
- Wind whipping her gauzy skirt against her hips, she sashayed towards him.
- No, this international model will not be sashaying down the ramp, but will take up a one-year course in Hindi.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.