In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(impertinent)caradura informalfresco informal
- The sets and atmosphere are dingy, with performers dressed in jeans and sneakers and leather jackets, and conveying a sassy, modern manner in their characters' persona.
- With a smart, sassy script and a winning lead performance, the film is virtually impossible to dislike.
- Pop songs sung by female teen vocalists became associated with sassy dance moves and flashy midriffs.
- The film is smart, sassy, and thoroughly enjoyable, and features one of the most endearing and believable characters to grace the screen this year.
- She was career-orientated, she was smart, she was sassy and confident.
- I think you'll really like this girl - she's smart, sophisticated, and sassy - but not too sassy.
- This pig-tailed cutie grew up to be a sassy, soul-singing beauty.
- Hazel is an English rose who is graceful, elegant and sassy.
- Toni, her best friend, was smart and sassy, liked to pretend she was a hard nut, though underneath it all, she was a hopeless romantic.
- She was smart, sassy and beautiful - and there has never been a voice to equal hers on the pop music scene.
- Here we have a mother and daughter duo with tight clothes and sassy attitudes who are forever searching for men.
- She was smart, cute, sassy, and I fell for her fast - a once in a lifetime whirlwind romance, you know?
- She took a few sassy steps forward and then stopped in the middle of the space between them all.
- Smart and sassy becomes smarmy and crass at the touch of the middlebrow.
- In other words this is sassy, bold, sophisticated cooking.
- She manages a brash, confident, and sassy manner that works well in the part, but is not overdone to the point of being unwelcome.
- It's funny, it's smart, it's endearing and it's a little sassy too.
- Taureans can be as wild and sassy, bad and brilliant, fast and smart as anyone when they care to.
- Her vocals are alternately sassy, playful and scolding, though they always retain a composure that makes them more detached than outrightly emotional.
- It has a cutting-edge modernity and sassy, youthful energy.
2(brash, jazzy)(hat/style) llamativo y atrevido
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.