In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1choucroute femininechucrut masculine
- A few people add white beans, a few more finely sliced pickled dill cucumbers, and a few add sauerkraut.
- The uptake of such supplements can be assisted by eating enzyme rich foods such as pickles, sauerkraut, or sprouts.
- Regular dill pickles and sauerkraut are fermented and cured for about 3 weeks.
- On the hot dogs I requested sauerkraut and mustard.
- Try authentic sauerkraut, spicy sausages, schnitzels and pretzels washed down with one of the 800 varieties of beers found in the Bavarian region of Germany.
- At least once a day, eat a small serving of tempeh, unpasteurized sauerkraut, whole-grain rye bread, or unsweetened kefir.
- But the crowd-pleaser is lusciously roasted baby loin of pork, accompanied not only by sauerkraut and apple compote but by smoked sausage and two spare ribs.
- He liked sausages, sauerkraut, tongue, pickles, cucumber salad, and goose liver, which became, on festive occasions, an almost holy object that only Karel could slice and distribute to his congregation of gourmets.
- Stews, roasts, and casseroles with vegetable, salads, sour pickles, and sauerkraut make up the usual main course.
- Choucroute, a statement of Alsatian identity on a plate, is a sturdy dish of sauerkraut laden with cured and boiled meats: smoked sausage, ham knuckles, belly pork.
- Their food, usually stew or sausage and sauerkraut, was what was available in 1916.
- Alsace is also, incidentally, the home of choucroute garnie, a traditional dish of sauerkraut and various forms of pork.
- The choucroute, which is sausage and smoked ham cooked in sauerkraut, was also a winner.
- Mulgikapsad is a pork and sauerkraut dish that takes its name from an Estonian province.
- Mashed potatoes covered with beef gravy, noodles with brown butter, chicken potpie, and sauerkraut are regional favorites.
- In a small bowl mix together the lovage, brioche, sauerkraut, creme fraiche, and sour cream.
- Also popular for special meals is roast duck, pork, or goose with dumplings and sauerkraut.
- Christmas dinner includes roast pork or goose, blood sausage, sauerkraut, potatoes, and head cheese, with gingerbread cookies for dessert.
- Avoid olives, pickles and sauerkraut because of their high sodium content.
- There is, of course, the option of sausage or schnitzel on a bun, and sauerkraut is available, but will cost you extra.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.