In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Melt butter in a skillet and sauté mushrooms and onions until tender.
- Cook lamb rump, and while it is resting, sauté beetroot in pan and roast in the oven to caramelize, heat grilled eggplant and wilt chopped rainbow chard in pan.
- To test for taste, make a small patty of the meat mixture and sauté until cooked.
- Gently fry the bacon, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and then sauté onion, peppers, garlic, fennel and saffron.
- I sauté thinly sliced garlic in butter or olive oil, add chopped sage and cooked green beans for a wonderful side dish.
- The seafood on the menu is about what you'd expect from an accomplished seafood chef, particularly the Dover sole, which is sautéed, de-boned, and finished with a brown-butter sauce.
- If you sauté parsnips in a pan they are more tender than open-roasted ones.
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions in butter until almost tender.
- Caramelize anything and it's better, which is why you sauté vegetables for soup.
- I deliberately hoarded my beautifully sautéed duck breast and truffled mash.
- In the same pot, sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil & butter until the onions are translucent.
- Add celery and carrots and sauté for two more minutes and then add mushrooms.
- Heat oil in pan, add the whole spices and curry leaves, sauté until the aromas are released and add the chopped onions.
- Trim the pak choi neatly and sauté whole in the remaining oil for about 3 minutes.
- Cook them my way to bring out their full flavour - bake whole on a bed of rock salt in a foil parcel, then peel, sauté in butter to glaze and dress in good aged balsamic vinegar.
- Heat the oil and sauté onions and garlic till fragrant.
- If using chicken, tofu or vegetables, sauté with the curry paste and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Add the coriander, coconut, and butter; sauté for about another minute to mix all the flavors.
- Add the diced onion and half the lardons or bacon together with the herbs and sauté for 5 minutes till softened.
- Season with salt and pepper and sauté in butter in a frying pan.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.