In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1matasanos masculine informal humorous
- Osler - a sawbones so famous that somebody wrote a 1,400-page biography of the guy - was the first to describe the condition.
- Thus did the old sawbones hobble on down the road where, except for one or two cases of terminal egomania, he thoroughly enjoyed his second chance at caring for those who suffer.
- The mobile sawbones are looking for volunteers to sign on for nine to 12 months helping the sick in such unpredictable places as Afghanistan.
- Payne puts little Michael on the transplant list, and sawbones Turner mucks in to do the messy stuff when a suitable donor miraculously wraps her car around a tree with just minutes to spare.
- Care to tell your old sawbones how you are feeling?
- If ever I need the old sawbones, pick me one with a steady hand and a good patient-survival ratio and I won't care if he talks in grunts.
- He had been troubled by a left inguinal hernia in his lower abdomen, so he booked a date with the sawbones to go under the knife and get it fixed.
- Doyle had a reasonably distinguished career as a sawbones but made his mark as creator of arguably the world's best-known fictional detective.
- I wondered just how much use it would be having this sawbones examining her.
- The moustachioed cowpoke said, ‘One of our boys is hurt and needs a sawbones.’
- In a few short weeks, they've collected 500 signatures on a petition to name the park after Salvadore Allende, a Marxist sawbones elected president of Chile in 1970.
- Rob, who graduated 117th in his class at medical school, is an in-house sawbones with a penthouse suite, a gambling habit, and an insufferable smirk.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.