In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Marks followed her, his sawed-off shotgun in a holster strapped to his back.
- I frowned, glancing from his face to the sawed-off shotgun gleaming menacingly in his hands.
- He comes in and faces Stan, who has a sawed-off shot gun in his hand.
- The first federal gun legislation, the National Firearms Act of 1934, introduced controls on automatic weapons, sawed-off rifles and shotguns, and silencers, weapons popular with gangsters.
- At that point I felt for sure I was looking down the barrel of a sawn-off shotgun.
- A man was stopped in the lane with a sawn-off shotgun in the boot and a woman was arrested trying to sell drugs outside the junior school.
- I reached frantically for the light, wishing instead for a sawed-off shotgun.
- Twenty guns, including handguns, rifles and sawn-off shotguns, were found at the house.
- Walker came face-to-face with the business end of a sawn-off shotgun.
- His talent for being a big, grumpy guy with a sawed-off shotgun came from experience - lots of it.
- Police are seeking a man to help with their inquiries about the sawn-off rifle and ammunition.
- A young filling-station operator would proudly display his sawed-off automatic shotgun.
- What she carried was revealed to be a sawed-off shotgun, a twelve-gauge side-by-side.
- In both movie and book, the murder is committed by a killer armed with what appears to have been a sawed-off shotgun.
- Of all the guns I've had over the years, my favorite was a sawed-off shotgun with a pistol grip.
- The door to the apartment was barricaded from inside and when Gardai moved in, two shots were fired with a sawn-off shotgun at close range, injuring two Gardai.
- They're running things, dealing out justice with sawed-off shotguns - all to the delight of the audience.
- It was a sawn-off, double barreled shotgun with a pistol grip added.
- There was no evidence whatsoever that anything coming remotely similar to a .22 calibre sawn-off rifle was used in either one of the robberies.
- A four-man gang, armed with a sawn-off shotgun and a revolver, overpowered security guards and forced their way into the plant.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.